Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2005, 01:58 AM

Default My \"Try to play like Doyle Brunson In SS2 on the Party 25 Experiement\"

Hello my 2+2 Mentors!

I'm not a good no limit player...I've switched from limit to NL in the last month....

Until I re-read SS2 by Brunson I would just play like a rock and wait for people on the party 25NL to do something really stupid and give me their money.

That's all changed....

I just finished reading the Brunson NL section of Supersystem 2. This is the 4th time I've read Brunsons section in the last 3 weeks.
I want to develop a fast agressive style!
I've decided to try suited connectors!
I've decided to try to play agressive.
I've decided to try to make the opposition fear me. (yeah right LOL)

Of course I *Know* I'm a crappy player and don't have the skill of a Dolye Brunson. That's why I want your comments.

Hand 1 The set up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

I sit down and I notice one player has a VP$IP of 78%. The table has a VP$IP of about 28% with a pfr of about 2%. While I'm waiting for the fish to come into my sights I tangle with this villan.

The villan in this hand is loose VP$IP of 47% and passive pfr about 3%

I had been chipping away at winning the blinds with continuation bets with crap so far and the table has been folding and folding to my aggression. I've built my stack up to an amazing $28.42!! My table image is that of a loose agressive.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (9 handed) converter

Hero ($28.42)
MP3 ($23.75)
CO ($24.95)
Button ($24.65)
SB ($24.7)
BB ($46.3)
UTG ($28.8)
UTG+1 ($20.7)
MP1 ($33.25)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.1.
UTG calls $0.25, UTG+1 calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, BB checks.

I call with a middle suited one gap. The table is about 4% PFR so I think I can limp in with this and not get raised by the late position players. Is this a good move?

Flop: ($1.10) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets $1.1</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2.21</font>, BB folds, UTG calls $2.21, UTG+1 calls $19.35 (All-In), Hero calls $18.24, UTG folds.

Am I against trips?
Would you lay down top two pair and a backdoor flush?

Turn: ($44.21) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: ($44.21) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $44.21

Hand 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !
A few hands later....

UTG+1 in the last hand is the Button in this hand.
MP3 has stayed out of all pots I've seen so far ... he's a rock....

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (10 handed)
BB ($24.75)
Hero ($49.73)
UTG+1 ($23.75)
UTG+2 ($24.95)
MP1 ($24.4)
MP2 ($24.85)
MP3 ($45.8)
CO ($15.45)
Button ($24.25)
SB ($34.65)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $0.25. SB posts a blind of $0.1.
Hero calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises to $1</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $1, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls $0.75.

Why did I call?
Remeber I just finished reading the SuperSytem 2 book where Brunson says the wants 78s vs AA!!!
Looking back I'm thinking maybe I should only play 78s in the late positions. But this table has a pfr about 2% so I figure I'm not that likely to get raised (I'm wrong here)

Button is the villan from the hand listed above.

Flop: ($3.60) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $3</font>,

Betting the open ended straight flush is ok right?

<font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises to $10</font>, Button calls $23.25 (All-In), <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $36.5</font>,

Should I have folded to the all in or gone all in to shut out the MP3

MP3 calls $34.80 (All-In), Hero calls $8.30.

Wow I get action from the rock, Is the crying call of $8.30 correct?

I know I can be totally dominated by JcQc.

Final Pot: $116.45

Thanks for the input!
Derick
Old 06-28-2005, 02:01 AM

Default Re: My \"Try to play like Doyle Brunson In SS2 on the Party 25 Experiem

Both hands look good.
Old 06-28-2005, 02:17 AM

Default Re: My \"Try to play like Doyle Brunson In SS2 on the Party 25 Experiement\"

Both hands look pretty good, but I would be careful trying to apply SS2 to SSNL. The games Doyle plays in are very different from what you will find at the Party 25. JMO
Old 06-28-2005, 02:33 AM

Default Re: My \"Try to play like Doyle Brunson In SS2 on the Party 25 Experiement\"

I agree with Xorbie and Poboy that you didn't play them bad. I'd just play them a little different.

Hand 1:
PF call could be subject of discussion, but I make it too at a passive table. I wouldn't minraise the flop. Make it 3.50 or something. Calling the all-in is fine. But you don't have a backdoor flush possibility though [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Hand 2:
I'm pretty sure 87s is an automuck UTG. I would just call button's all-in. I think you want as much money in the pot as possible, so you don't wanna scare off players behind you. You are not trying to protect your hand, you're trying to get pot odds in your favour. This means getting as much callers as possible. There's always the next round of betting if you wanna get all your money in. After you call the button all-in, you're going all the way, rock betting or not.

Comments are welcome.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:29 AM

Hey,
Can one of you guys please elaborate on what hands (and how often) you put villain on in hand one to make this an easy call?
thanks,
Macq
Old 06-28-2005, 04:32 AM

Doyle is speaking on games that good players will lay down top pair top kicker. Most of his advice takes into account the percentage of time you will win when your opponent folds. Folding is not common in the 25 game. Please take this into consideration.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Both hands look pretty good, but I would be careful trying to apply SS2 to SSNL. The games Doyle plays in are very different from what you will find at the Party 25. JMO

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I keep thinking back to where Doyle says "You don't try to be fancy with bad players. You have to show them [bad players] a hand...."

I'm still trying to show them a hand ... I'm also trying to add suited one gap and suited middle connectors to my mix of hands along with a healthy dose of aggression... I'm trying to get another gear besides being an unimaginative rock who is just waiting for the opponents to do something totally retarded and give me their money.

Thanks for all the replies!

Derick
Old 06-28-2005, 11:42 AM

hand 1:
- raise preflop
- pot raise the flop

hand 2:
- i like a limp re-raise here. the goal is to scare the crap out of everyone with a hand that isn't going to be dominated if called. it'll also set you up to get action when you do the same thing with your premium pocket pairs.
- you should have just pushed instead of min-reraising on the flop
Old 06-28-2005, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hand 1:
- raise preflop
- pot raise the flop

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow raise preflop with a suited one gap from MP! Thats ummm superagressive!

I'm not saying it's bad, but my thought was to try to see a flop cheap and since the table is 4%pfr...

What are your raising requirements for starting hands?

Pot raise the flop ... not bad ... I like the idea...

[ QUOTE ]

hand 2:
- i like a limp re-raise here. the goal is to scare the crap out of everyone with a hand that isn't going to be dominated if called. it'll also set you up to get action when you do the same thing with your premium pocket pairs.
- you should have just pushed instead of min-reraising on the flop

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow you're a much more agressive player than I am... that's the kind of style that I want to learn... but I feel really uncomfortable playing like that because I don't really understand it. Why is a push better than a min-reraise?
Old 06-28-2005, 01:04 PM

I'm thinking (and hoping) that swolfe means that this is what you should do if you really wanna play like Doyle in the 25's. I'm pretty sure it will bankrupt you within 100 hands though.