Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2005, 09:42 PM

Default 1/2 MGM NL hand

Probably a routine play for cash game veterans but I'd like comments. I play mostly Tourneys.

I have $200, on the button. Villain is in LP with ~$200.

5th hand at the table, no reads.

I pick up AA. 4 limpers to me, I make it $25. called in 3 places, including LP.

Pot ~$100.

Flop KT7, rainbow.

checked to LP who goes all in for $230.

Easy fold, with no reads on him?
Old 06-27-2005, 09:52 PM

Default Re: 1/2 MGM NL hand

Yes, easy fold. Even if you called and he had KQ (which is doubtful), you dont know what the other callers in EP have. One of them might have been waiting for you to bet so he could check raise all in with a set.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, easy fold. Even if you called and he had KQ (which is doubtful), you dont know what the other callers in EP have. One of them might have been waiting for you to bet so he could check raise all in with a set.

[/ QUOTE ]

uh, no.

have you ever played live 1/2 NL before? maybe i'm used to the crappy play at foxwoods, but this move will be made with AK, KQ, KJ, and even K9 by some... i think it's far from an easy fold and oyu know what with the stacks being so short, i call.
Old 06-29-2005, 12:43 AM

Call and hope no one was playing KT.
Old 06-29-2005, 12:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

uh, no.

have you ever played live 1/2 NL before? maybe i'm used to the crappy play at foxwoods, but this move will be made with AK, KQ, KJ, and even K9 by some... i think it's far from an easy fold and oyu know what with the stacks being so short, i call.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-29-2005, 05:36 AM

you have LP beat almost 100% of the time here, i bet he has a straight draw

you need to be careful of the other players in the hand, try to get a read, the LP put you in a really heinous spot if one of them has you beat, so if theyre breathing really fast or looking off into the distance or something equally scary...id almost fold here based on the mere chance

you only have $25 in the pot
Old 06-29-2005, 09:24 AM

I called, everyone else folded, and he apologetically flipped over KT for top two pair.

Every time I faced large all-in bets like this this weekend at the MGM, villain had the goods.

It feels awfully weak to fold in these situations, but?????
Old 06-29-2005, 09:49 AM

Default Reasoning

I would challenge the notion that hero should fold because "he only has $25 in the pot." The concept of rescuing one's prior money from the pot (Doyle Brunson called them his children) I think is often misinterpreted. The point is not how much money YOU have in the pot, but how much money is in the pot in total.

$25 in a heads-up pot is maybe not worth fighting for... but when the pot is five-handed and now our hero is fighting for a $125 pot, it's totally different.

As to the hand in question, I think I'd call here pretty much every time unless I had a very strong read on LP or one of the EP players was a chronic trapping player. The board is pretty innocuous, and the only things you're really worried about are K 10 and a set, which is not a whole lot of hands. You are faced with a call of ~$200 into a pot of ~$325-350 or so, so let's say that you need to have about 38% equity for a call to be right. Against a set, you're still about 8% to hit an A on the turn or river, meaning you'd only have to be ahead 1 in 3 times for a call to be correct. Against two pair you have equity north of 20% considering the aces and the counterfeiting pairs. I estimate that if you think you're ahead 1 in 4 times overall, a call is going to be fine here... 1 in 3 times and a call will be significantly +EV.
Old 06-29-2005, 05:39 PM

well hes sure a hell of a nice guy

you know what they say about nice poker players

they suck
Old 06-29-2005, 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

uh, no.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, the lowest live game Ive played is $2/$5. I dont like calling an open push for double the pot, especiall with people left to act behind me.

If he pushes there with a hand I can beat, I will bust him later.

I thought he had a set, but KT doesnt surprise me either.