Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2005, 07:18 PM

Default A video ad from the GOP

Best-hits collection
The Republican National Committee yesterday unveiled a new Web ad titled "Wild Thing," highlighting recent inflammatory comments by Democratic Party leaders.
The video will be e-mailed out today to 15 million Republicans, the RNC said.
Here is the transcript of the 1-minute-and-45-second video:

(Text on Screen): A long, long time ago ...

(Montage of past presidents)
Franklin D. Roosevelt: "The only thing we have to fear ..."

Harry S. Truman: "... and are determined to work for peace on earth."

John F. Kennedy: "Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country."

(Text on Screen): Today ...
(Video) Democratic National Committee Chairman Howard Dean: "I hate what the Republicans are doing to this country. I really do."

(Video) Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton: "It is very hard to stop people who have never been acquainted with the truth."

(Video) Mr. Dean: "A lot of them have never made an honest living in their lives."

(Print) Mr. Dean 6/6/2005: (Republican Party) "It's pretty much a white, Christian party."

(Video) House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi: "Our plan is to stop him ... stop him ... he must be stopped."

(Video) Senate Minority Whip Richard J. Durbin: "You would most certainly believe this must have been done by Nazis, Soviets in their gulags, or some mad regime -- Pol Pot or others -- that had no concern for human beings. Sadly, that is not the case. This was the action of Americans."

(Print) Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid 5/6/2005: "I think this guy (President Bush) is a loser."

(Video) Mr. Reid: "I apologized for the 'loser'; I haven't for the 'liar.'?"

(Video) Jon Stewart: "We turn our attention now to Washington, and the Democrats. Political party founded in 1792 that enjoyed an active role in American politics through much of the 20th century. Perhaps you've heard of them. No? Ask your parents."

(Text on screen): The Democrats Today. No Vision. No Plan. Not your Parents' Democrat Party.

The video can be seen at http://www.gop.com.
Old 06-27-2005, 07:31 PM

Default Re: A video ad from the GOP

The thing I like most about this video is how mad it will make democrats despite being an accurate portrayal of were the part is at these days.
Old 06-27-2005, 07:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The thing I like most about this video is how mad it will make democrats despite being an accurate portrayal of were the part is at these days.

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing I like most about this video is how every "inflammatory statement" made by democrats is very accurate.
Old 06-27-2005, 08:02 PM

Yes most republicans have never worked a day in their lives and our troops are equivelant to nazis because the turned off th AC at gitmo. Impenetrable arguments.
Old 06-27-2005, 08:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(Video) Mr. Dean: "A lot of them have never made an honest living in their lives."

[/ QUOTE ]

This statement, which, if I recall correctly, was directed at the Republican leadership, is accurate. Many high-ups in the Republican party (and I'll concede, many high-ups in the Democratic party too) come from old money, and have never had to work an honest day's work in their life. I fail to see the problem with that statement.

[ QUOTE ]
(Video) Senate Minority Whip Richard J. Durbin: "You would most certainly believe this must have been done by Nazis, Soviets in their gulags, or some mad regime -- Pol Pot or others -- that had no concern for human beings. Sadly, that is not the case. This was the action of Americans."

[/ QUOTE ]

This statement, in reference to the torture of prisoners in Guantanamo Bay, by "turning off the AC," varying the temperature so greatly that it was, in fact, torture to the prisoners, merely represents one man's feelings about the actions of a few soldiers who abused their power. He never said that it applied to the military as a whole, and never actually compared the soldiers to nazis, merely that their actions were similar to those which could be expected of tyrranical regimes, not the United States.
Old 06-27-2005, 08:40 PM

The statement was not made in reference to just the leadership of the republican party and even if it were how many republican leaders have never worked a day in their lives.Also there's probably more old money Democrats then Republicans (like Howard Dean himself)

The statement by Durbin was so ridiculous on so many levels that it's almost incomprehensible. While I do agree that what he was trying to say is that you wouldn't expect the US to engage in this kind of treatement of prisoners he is clearly either very disconnected from the reality of what is involveved in war and what torture really is or so ridiculussly partisan that he'll say anything he thinks will make liberal kooks like him. Do you really think hitler or polpot ever used temperature changes to get information out of their enemies come on lets get back to reality here. I can't remember where I read it but I recently read a something written about basic training in the US military and the training the soldiers go through just for basic is much more strenuos then the interrogation tactics described in that FBI memo if anything we treat our prisoners to good. Finally I would submit that as a united states senator he should have known how his statements would be reported around the world and the damage that would be done to the country as a result (Al-Jazeera has been running with the 'US senator admits US is no better then Nazis' story ever since. So which is it is he to stupid to know that his statements would be reported on in this fashion or does he just not care?
Old 06-27-2005, 09:32 PM

This ad is a perfect example of what's wrong with campaigning today. Avoidance of substance. Avoidance of issues. Call out the other side because they are "lunatics".

Personally, I don't vote for a party. I vote for a candidate. Based on where that candidate stands on things that crazy me finds important -- fiscal issues, social issues, foreign policy to the extent applicable. If I voted for which side has more or better wackos, it would be a draw every friggin' year. So I want to hear substance, not stuff found on page 6 of the NY Post.

These ads stink when the Republicans do it. They stink when the Democrats do it. It stinks. Period. And right-minded people shouldn't be celebrating this kind of nonsense. They should be standing up in their respective parties and demanding that the issues be addressed, and then addressed again. Get the party's substantive message out and don't spend hard-earned contribution on nonsense like this crap.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:02 PM

it's hard to get substantive political discourse into a 30 second commercial. That's what debates are for.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it's hard to get substantive political discourse into a 30 second commercial. That's what debates are for.

[/ QUOTE ]

They're sending out emails. They're not limited in how much material they send. Just because an ad is 30 seconds, doesn't mean they can take the time to talk about what they will do instead of just going negative.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:24 PM

The emails are linked to their web site which is full of policy and stances on substantive issues this is a commercial we all know the point of commercials and as far as commercials go this one of the better ones. Who the opponents are is an issue also and this add acuretly portrays the direction in which the democratic party is going.