Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2005, 05:40 PM

Default When to fold two pair . . .

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (5 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: 8.50 BB

Go ahead and rip apart this play by me, I need help knowing when to lay down pocket pair with pair on the board. Thanks all.
Old 06-27-2005, 06:07 PM

Default Re: When to fold two pair . . .

I'd say when you didn't catch a T on the turn it's a good time to let go. Especially since another overcard fell on the turn.
Old 06-27-2005, 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (5 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (6.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: 8.50 BB

Go ahead and rip apart this play by me, I need help knowing when to lay down pocket pair with pair on the board. Thanks all.

[/ QUOTE ]
Worry about the ace more.

This is either a nice bluff or an ace. The ace is more likely.

If you call down, you have to spend 5 small bets to win 12 (8SB pot + villain's 2 BB bets on turn and river).

I don't think you are ahead 40% of the time against typical players with a board pair + an ace overcard. If he's behind he could have overcard outs too (3+).
Old 06-27-2005, 06:20 PM

the check raise on the flop probably meant sb had an ace. Its either that or hes making a play on you hoping you fold on the flop. Unlikely he has trip 5's because its heads up and most would check raise the turn. Unless you know the check raiser to be a bluffer you should lay it down on the flop in my opinion. Maybe its just me but I dont consider my hand to be 2 pair if there is a pair on board.
Old 06-27-2005, 06:22 PM

Fold the flop.
Old 06-27-2005, 06:23 PM

What about reraising the flop, then seeing if he calls/caps and/or leads out on the turn? If so, I fold (UI). If not, I take a free card. Calling/folding UI if he leads the river would depend on what fell on 4th and 5th streets.
Old 06-27-2005, 06:27 PM

I fold the flop unless I have STRONG reasons to believe the SB is bluffing. Not many players at that limit are sophisticated enough to set up a bluff by calling your PF raise and then cr-ing you on the flop (and knowing the ace scares you).

If I don't believe them I three bet - if they cap I'm certainly done. If they just call I probably hope I can check the turn through and get a cheap showdown (since they will almost certainly bet the river).

I also agree with the poster who says (s)he doesn't think of this as two pair. Yes it is two pair but your hand is not as strong as top two, top and bottom, etc. would be. I think this is more like a split pair - remember, if he has an ace, his two pair is significantly larger.
Old 06-27-2005, 06:28 PM

In general, I'm dumping to the flop checkraise.
Old 06-27-2005, 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The pair on the board has nothing to do with it, sport. You're HU to the flop, so the pot is small, and you get check-raised with an overcard on the board. I don't think I fold the flop just for the sake of my image, but I sure as hell fold the turn.
Old 06-27-2005, 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In general, I'm dumping to the flop checkraise.

[/ QUOTE ]