Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2005, 04:08 PM

Default flopping a full house

Hi,

I've recently decided to make the transition from limit to NL, so I'd appreciate any thoughts on this hand. This was the second hand after buying in (!) so I didn't have reads on any of the players. Personally I am happy with how I played it up to the call on the end, which was horrible. Anyone disagree? Should I have bet more or tried to check-raise on the turn? Should I have checked the river and folded to a decent-sized bet.

Cheers,

Celyn

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (10 handed) converter

UTG+2 ($23.26)
MP1 ($50)
MP2 ($80)
Hero ($51.25)
CO ($65.82)
Button ($47.25)
SB ($52.05)
BB ($87.2)
UTG ($43.56)
UTG+1 ($90.8)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. MP1 posts a blind of $0.5. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP1 (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $0.50, CO calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB checks.

Flop: ($2.25) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $2</font>, CO calls $2, BB folds, MP1 folds.

Turn: ($6.25) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $6</font>, CO calls $6.

River: ($18.25) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $18</font>, CO calls $57.32 (All-In), Hero calls $24.75 (All-In).

Final Pot: $118.32
Old 06-27-2005, 04:37 PM

Default Re: flopping a full house

Leading each street for the pot is good, looks like you got hit by a 3 outer. I don't consider folding this with the amount in the pot by the time he reraised you (your $24 call is only 1/2 pot, and you have a full house!).

I'd be more afraid of the board pairing in this situation than the Q on the river, in fact unless it was my case 6 I'd give up the hand.

Problem with going for a check-raise is he can still check behind you and get a free river card, and if you were playin AQ here, what would you do?

Drink More,
RedRum
Old 06-28-2005, 05:23 AM

Thanks for the post. I put him on a big Ace, probably not AK as I think he would have played it more strongly. I think it would have been the right play to lay down to his all in raise on the river - I don't see what hand he could have had that I could beat. Glad to know that you don't think I played it too badly though!
Old 06-28-2005, 06:38 AM

I think you played it fine. You bet every street, that seems the right line to me. Not knowing anything about the player then I revert to my default "typical player." As he's calling along I'd suspect Ax. If you are unlucky he's got A5 or A6, but these will be outweighed by the times he has A7-AJ.

For the same reasons your river bet is fine. Once he pushes you have to call. You are getting 3/1 on your money, only AA, QQ, A5, A6 and AQ have you beat. His action seems inconsistent with QQ, leaving only 15 combinations of cards he could have to beat you. Enough opponents, in that game, will over-rate their Ax and raise you on the river such that you betting out and calling a push represents value.

Even if opponents only make this raise all in with AA, QQ, AQ, A5, A6 and AK you are priced to call him. I would not check-raise the turn and I certainly would not check-fold the river... and your call isn't horrible.
Old 06-28-2005, 06:46 AM

You have to bet out the river as a value bet because a large majority of the time, IMO, people will have Ax here and will just call.

I really don't think it's right to fold on the river against an complete unknown player when they push. There are more bad players than good players in the Party $50 NLHE games and open trips is one of the most over-rated hands.

I'm guessing you called and lost. It happens. It doesn't have to be right every time. It only has to be right 1 time in 4 to make it correct. I'll take that bet any day in that game.

Don't start getting too result oriented.
Old 06-28-2005, 08:54 AM

I agree.