Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2005, 03:40 PM

Default AJ Burnett

Didn't see this posted yet...very interesting.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/3720056

O's, Yankees, and Red Sox mentioned as possible landing spots with the O's as the leading candidate.
Old 06-27-2005, 03:54 PM

Default Re: AJ Burnett

I could see bal making this deal, but i have trouble believing NY or Boston. NY just can't have anything cheap the marlins would want, at least not enough to give up burnett, and if boston deals a SP and some other parts for burnett, they've got the same problem of having too many starters when schilling comes back. as of now the plan is to send arroyo to the pen, so if he's unable to crack your rotation, how much of an upgrade is burnett really? esp when he'll have to face an extra hitter every time around.

i realize burnett's an upgrade over arroyo, i just don't see him as that much of an upgrade to make the potential deal (let's say arroyo and hanley ramirez) worthwhile.

that being said, i don't put it past either the yanks or the sox to do this deal.
Old 06-27-2005, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I could see bal making this deal, but i have trouble believing NY or Boston. NY just can't have anything cheap the marlins would want, at least not enough to give up burnett

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree on NY...they have nothing to offer. The article mentions Wang and Gordon for Burnett, but thats just ridiculous. No way the Marlins do that deal, especially when you know the O's and Sox can and will put together much better offers just to keep him out of NY.

[ QUOTE ]
and if boston deals a SP and some other parts for burnett, they've got the same problem of having too many starters when schilling comes back. as of now the plan is to send arroyo to the pen, so if he's unable to crack your rotation, how much of an upgrade is burnett really? esp when he'll have to face an extra hitter every time around.

i realize burnett's an upgrade over arroyo, i just don't see him as that much of an upgrade to make the potential deal (let's say arroyo and hanley ramirez) worthwhile.

[/ QUOTE ]

As a Sox fan I'd pass on Arroyo for Burnett...Arroyo is what every GM wants but can't find: good, cheap starting pitching. Burnett's injury risk and the fact they'd be taking a big salary hit just doesn't make it worth it. I don't think they should be trading players like Arroyo or Hanley Ramirez for a guy who has that risk and has made it very clear he wants top dollar after this season.

Now, if the Marlins want to talk Wade Miller, Kelly Stoppach and one of the arms down in Pawtucket for Burnett, that would be a different story, especially if they might be willing to part ways with Mota too. Not gonna happen though.
Old 06-28-2005, 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

i realize burnett's an upgrade over arroyo,

[/ QUOTE ]

This doesn't seem obvious to me at all.
Old 06-28-2005, 12:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

i realize burnett's an upgrade over arroyo,

[/ QUOTE ]

This doesn't seem obvious to me at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

at first i disagreed with you, but after actually looking at the stats of these two its a lot close than suspected.

i dont see this deal happening, and i am glad. thankfull the sox won the WS last year and wont feel compelled to make the 'big' trade to get a player for a 1/2 of a season. if they think AJ is a good picther with nice upside, they can go after him in the FA market and not give up a picther who will be underpaid next year along with a toptier prospect.

i will take schilling/clement/wells/wakerryo/miller into august and feel pretty comfortable.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:19 AM

Burnett pitches in a severe pitcher's park, Arroyo in a hitter's park. Arroyo projected to be the better pitcher before the season (albeit slightly), Burnett has done slightly better however. Before today Burnett was about 2 runs better than Arroyo on the year. Arroyo was projected to be 7 runs better this season than Burnett by PECOTA.
Old 06-28-2005, 02:11 AM

arroyo's a severely underrated SP, IMO. He's got future ace written all over him.
Old 06-28-2005, 08:09 AM

I hate to see the Marlins do this. They put together a team that a lot of people had a shot at the whole tamale this year, and this just seems like they've already given up on the season. The starting pitching has really been the bright spot for this team. With the excepotion of Willis, they'd all have much better records if they got any run support at all. When the bats come alive, and they will, it would be a real shame if they've already screwed themselves by tearing up their starting rotation.