Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2005, 12:01 PM

Default 10-20 -- the usual trouble with AQ

5 handed 10-20 NLH

UTG has $250. I have $1500. Rest of the table has us covered. UTG is doing the usual short stack thing -- just looking for a chance to put it all in. I don't anything about the Button and I have only been at the table for 10-15 minutes. He hasn't done anything particularly noteworthy.

Preflop

UTG limps. I am suspicious and limp in the CO with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Button limps and BB raps.

Flop is A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. BB and UTG check. I bet $80. Button calls. BB folds. UTG calls.

Turn

K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] UTG check. I bet $300. Button minraises to $600. UTG calls. What were the mistakes to this point and what do I do now?
Old 06-27-2005, 12:11 PM

Default Re: 10-20 -- the usual trouble with AQ

I'd fold..you're getting a bit less than 4:1 to draw for nut flush which may be no good vs possible full house, and you have no implied odds to extract any more vs buttons "trips" when the 4th diamond hits.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:15 PM

its gonna be tough getting any money in on that river if a 4th [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] comes, right?
Old 06-27-2005, 12:22 PM

I agree with both of you about the difficulty (and potential peril) in getting more money in if a diamond falls. Does that mean that leading the turn was a bad line? If I don't lead, I probably have to check-fold, right?
Old 06-27-2005, 12:28 PM

I think you have to assume you are behind when that K of diamonds hit. What you can hope for is that UTG is the one that made his hand and was going for a CR and that the button will check behind with something like AJ and you can draw for free. If you don't improve I would check and make a decide based on the river action.

Up to the turn it looks fine.
Old 06-27-2005, 01:52 PM

check turn....if that card didn't help villain, he's probably willing to check river too, and you might be able to value bet it.
Old 06-27-2005, 02:00 PM

I don't think I would bet this turn. If you check and button bets than you can see what UTG does, and decide whether or not you want to call, but even if UTG folds, I can't imagine you are ahead here a good portion of the time.
Old 06-27-2005, 04:27 PM

i think your mistake was not protecting your position pre flop. i think a raise is mandatory here because players can still act behind you--remember that players actions usually mean what they appear to mean until proven otherwise--so if you think he might have limped in with aa or kk if you make the proper raise pre flop you can now play with real information-not percieved info
Old 06-27-2005, 05:26 PM

If I raise to $125 or so, UTG either is folding or moving in. I expect to see a limp reraise here at least 33% of the time. The situation really sucks if the Button calls. Then I may be stuck with a $750 pot preflop with a hand that is losing to UTG, and I am playing AQ out of position for the side pot. Not ideal.
Old 06-27-2005, 05:29 PM

would a small pfr to isolate the short stack be too transparent, rococo?

smaller stakes with less observant players i do this all the time when i would like to be all in with a short stack but dont want to get too tied up vs a big stack, that is make a raise to knock out blinds/whomever and zone in on villain.