Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2005, 09:33 AM

Default Was this a ridiculous fold? NL50 PP

I have been at the table for about 2-3 hours and absolutely killing it- up to triple my buyin so far. Play is usual Party Poker low limit style- loose and generally awful. I am respected on the table and have been taking alot of pots when checked to me. Villain in question tangled with me a hand or two earlier than the one in question.

Villain from the SB raise 6x BB and i call with KK on the BB to set a trap (i know i should RR here but thought this was my best way to make money this time.) he leads out for 5$ on a low flop- i reraise and he calls. i then take the pot on turn with Kings up. This i think may have put villain on tilt a little bit- not sure why but just the idea i get. Anyways->

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Button ($68.5)
SB ($31.08)
BB ($48.5)
Villain ($49.45)
Hero ($176.47)

Preflop: Hero is MP with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
Villain calls $0.50, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2</font>, Button calls $2, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Villain calls $1.50.

Flop: ($6.75) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Villain checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $4</font>, Button folds, Villain calls $4.

Turn: ($14.75) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Villain checks, Hero checks.

River: ($14.75) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>Villain is all-In [$43.45]

Hero folds.

Final Pot: $14.75
I knew my kings were good on the flop here but villains check call and check on the turn scream flush for me. . Would anyone else find this a fold? This has been annoying me a little bit- because i would usually call this bet as it seems very fishy to me- almost a desperation bluff.
Old 06-27-2005, 09:36 AM

Default Re: Was this a ridiculous fold? NL50 PP

Bet full pot on flop, bet the turn. If he c/r a-i on the turn, you can think about mucking (but are almost certainly too short to do so, here). The way you played it, you have to call.
Old 06-27-2005, 09:38 AM

Easy fold.

I also wouldn't raise KJs. It's a hand that can get you in a lot of trouble.
Old 06-27-2005, 09:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I also wouldn't raise KJs. It's a hand that can get you in a lot of trouble.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a pretty easy raise 5 handed. Pretty unlikely that you are dominated.
Old 06-27-2005, 09:41 AM

Good point. I wasn't paying attention and didn't even read that this was 6 max. I just assumed full ring.
Old 06-27-2005, 09:51 AM

I played alot of pots with the guy and think he sort of wanted to outdraw me almost. I feel KJ isnt too bad in 5 handed at the time, in retrospect i think your right to say another bet needs to go in on the turn to see where i stand-
Am i more scared of a flat call on the turn or a reraise???
Old 06-27-2005, 09:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Am i more scared of a flat call on the turn or a reraise???

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, I'm certainly not scared of his calling the turn and then checking to me on the river because I'm checking behind. If he calls the turn and pushes the river, or check raises the turn, I'm somewhat scared, but probably not enough to lay down.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:04 AM

Autobet the turn for value here. If you face a call, you're most likely against a weaker king or the single ace or queen of spades. I would carefully re-evaluate the situation if villains check-raises me all-in on turn.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:19 AM

Yeah, I would have a hard time laying this down unless I had seen Villain pull off similar moves before. This could easily be a weaker King, perhaps a strange play with an Ace, or more likely a ridiculous bluff.

Now it very well could be a retarded overbet with a flush which is why you need to make a ~half-pot bet on the turn, maybe if he reraises all-in you could get away from this, but from the way the Villain played it, I'm seeing this as almost certainly some retarded bluff. I've seen plays like this pulled so many times at 50NL on PP that I would be very tempted to make this call.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:34 AM

other than tilting, what could he be calling with on the flop... unlikely he has a worse king given we can see 3 of them...

you must bet the turn to at least try to get a free showdown... I would bet 2/3 pot and then shut down...