Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2005, 12:03 AM

Default AJ for TPTK trapping

arghhhh. villain has been playing everything but solid. he seems to have something out for me because i bluffed him earlier out of a big pot(he doesnt know i bluffed) and have been winning every pot off him. hes been calling a lot of raises and ive been hitting good flops and just betting them straight up. heres earlier bluff if it helps http://www.pokerhand.org/index.php?p...amp;hand=80241 he did pretty much same thing

i checked on turn because i was expecting a bet if i checked. i got exactly what i wanted, but couldnt pull the trigger on the river. would a blocking bet on river be better? did i fold a winner? he could be slow playing or some kind of funky 2 pair. i dno im lost.

comments?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (9 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

MP1 ($99)
Hero ($260.55)
MP3 ($41.50)
CO ($131.55)
Button ($112.15)
SB ($27)
BB ($82)
UTG ($15.30)
UTG+1 ($94.75)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $3</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls $3, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: ($7.50) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $5</font>, Button calls $5.

Turn: ($17.50) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $10</font>, Hero calls $10.

River: ($37.50) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $50</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $87.50
Old 06-27-2005, 12:05 AM

Default Re: AJ for TPTK trapping

Why not checkraise the turn, or bet the river?
Old 06-27-2005, 12:07 AM

I love betting the flop, check/calling the turn and then betting the river against aggressive/predictable opponents.

Bet $25-30'ish on the river and fold to a raise.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:50 AM

Sounds like a very solid line.
Old 06-27-2005, 04:45 AM

I like this line. Is this hand a nice example of being either way ahead or way behind? This line seems to get most money from villain when you're way ahead and doesn't build the pot when you're way behind.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:30 AM

You got what you were looking for on the turn, a small-ish half pot bet. I'd reraise to ~$35 here, and be ready to fold to an all in.

From your line, it looks like you're weak and wanting to improve - He's likely to be just pushing you off a winner. Calling the PFR and small Flop bet I'd put him on 2 big cards likely JT-AJ.

Make your move, if he plays back at you then it's safe to fold knowing you're likely beat. This could be a steal due to your weakness.

Drink More,
RedRum
Old 06-27-2005, 10:46 AM

At the risk of being called a weak tightie, I generally dont raise AJo. It is a hand that can generate a lot of trouble for me as it is easy to overplay since it a an ok hand that looks powerful. I raise it if it is suited, but not offsuit. same goes for KQ, AT, and KJ, though I only raise KJs in good position or in 6 max.

Thoughts?
Old 06-27-2005, 10:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You got what you were looking for on the turn, a small-ish half pot bet. I'd reraise to ~$35 here, and be ready to fold to an all in.

From your line, it looks like you're weak and wanting to improve - He's likely to be just pushing you off a winner. Calling the PFR and small Flop bet I'd put him on 2 big cards likely JT-AJ.

Make your move, if he plays back at you then it's safe to fold knowing you're likely beat. This could be a steal due to your weakness.

[/ QUOTE ]

raising to 35 here is a terrible idea since villian is incredibly likely to call. Either make a serious raise to try and get him out or just call, you dont want to be adding too many of your chips in here when you dont know exactly where you are.

I do agree that this looks like hes trying to push you off your hand
Old 06-27-2005, 11:38 AM

if you're going to check/fold the river, don't call the turn.

i'd bet the turn ~$10

on your river here, you should either make a blocking bet, or call any bet that he makes because with your weak play you've induced a bluff from a busted flush or junk.

his line seems like a weak J.