Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2005, 04:23 PM

Default Turn Raise vs. River Raise

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (3.40 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (3.20 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls.

River: (6.20 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG folds.

Final Pot: 8.20 BB

So I could've raised the turn and gotten BB to follow with me but UTG would have folded. So I tried to just call down to the river and raise there hoping BB would continue to bet into me and UTG calling with top pair or such. Ideas?
Old 06-26-2005, 04:32 PM

Default Re: Turn Raise vs. River Raise

Fold on the flop. "But then I wouldn't have got my straight" Too bad the pot is too small to continue, its tiny. After that, you have to raise the turn, you are last to act and everyone already called! You are almost guaranteed 2 more bets if you raise. Then lead the river when checked to
Old 06-26-2005, 04:37 PM

I think you should consider a raise preflop, depending on my read on the open limper. Does he play a lot of crap preflop? If so, this is a clear raise. Does he generally play only strong hands from up front? If that is the case, then a fold might be in order. I generally don't like a call here.

As you played it, I don't think you are getting proper odds to call this flop. I will give you 1.5 outs for yr overcard, and 3 clean outs for yr straight. You need ~11:1 (round up since the J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] might still be a good out) to call, and are getting 4.2:1. I don't think the implied odds make this worth it the call. Fold.

On the turn you MUST raise this.

[brutal tough love honesty] Bottom line: misplayed on all streets aside from the river. [/brutal tough love honesty]
Old 06-26-2005, 04:43 PM

I'm either raising or folding in this situation
Old 06-26-2005, 04:53 PM

UTG isn't going to fold if you raise the turn; If he does I'll eat my hat.

He's also not going to call on the river w/ a four-flush or a busted straight draw.

Raise him while he's drawing, not after he's missed.

Edit - And yes, the flop call is pretty bad, and I'm not crazy about your initial limp.
Old 06-26-2005, 04:57 PM

Raise or fold preflop with good position. If you raise (which I'd do, dependent on my read of UTG and Button), you have to semi-bluff raise this flop as well.

Regardless of what action got you here, you need to raise this turn.

At least you got the river right.
Old 06-26-2005, 05:03 PM

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. MP2 posts a blind of $0.5.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 (poster) checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 folds, MP2 calls.

Turn: (7.25 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, MP2 calls.

River: (10.25 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, MP2 calls.

Final Pot: 14.25 BB

And no kittens were harmed in the playing of this hand.
Old 06-26-2005, 05:04 PM

Raise preflop, fold the flop, and raise the turn.
Old 06-26-2005, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise or fold preflop with good position. If you raise (which I'd do, dependent on my read of UTG and Button), you have to semi-bluff raise this flop as well.

[/ QUOTE ]
if you raised preflop, no, you would not "have to semi-bluff raise" the flop.
Old 06-26-2005, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise preflop, fold the flop, and raise the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you mind explaining why to raise pre-flop? Thanks

lucid