Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2005, 10:00 PM

Default A fun 77 hand

This table seemed about average until this hand. SB just sat down, so no reads on him, and nobody else involved in this hand has done anything to distinguish themselves as anything other than average or donktesque.

I'm on the button with 77. 7 limpers to me, I raise, SB insta-3-bets, BB folds, 5 players call, I cap, everyone calls. 7 to the flop for 31 SB.

Flop comes T72r. SB leads out, the next four players call. CO raises, I 3-bet, and SB caps. The first 3 callers fold, the next two call, and I call. 4 to the turn for 25 BB.

Turn is a K. SB bets, MP calls, CO calls and is all-in, I raise, SB 3-bets, MP folds, I cap, SB calls. HU to the river for 43 BB.

River is an A. SB bets, I call.

Anyone go more bets on the river? Anyone not capping this preflop?
Old 06-25-2005, 10:16 PM

Default Re: A fun 77 hand

The preflop cap is okay IMO. The only caveat I have is that with a hand like 77 your pot equity is going to change drasically on the flop. I think you have a pot equity edge against 6 players here preflop, so I can understand the cap, but reverse implied odds are very high here as well.
Old 06-25-2005, 10:22 PM

While my pot equity will change drastically on the flop, being in position is a great advantage and 77 is the sort of hand you can get away from on an unfavorable flop easily enough so as not to hammer yourself with reverse implied odds.
Old 06-25-2005, 10:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
While my pot equity will change drastically on the flop, being in position is a great advantage and 77 is the sort of hand you can get away from on an unfavorable flop easily enough so as not to hammer yourself with reverse implied odds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed - wouldn't we actually have implied odds because we can go nuts when we set up and fold when we don't?

I like the flop cap, I like the river call, and I like the table selection. I'd probably call the turn 3-bet for fear of KK in fact. Or does the number of callers give you a good enough overlay to cap it?
Old 06-25-2005, 10:47 PM

Yeah, with a large field and another player in love with his hand, there are some pretty nice implied odds when I hit my set.

I think capping the turn is pretty standard, I'm not really fearing KK yet. I'm figuring AA/KK, possibly TT, or maybe he's going nutso with AK or QQ or something. I'm just not 100% on getting only one bet in on the river against an unknown, although it seemed like common sense at the time.
Old 06-25-2005, 11:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
77 is the sort of hand you can get away from on an unfavorable flop easily enough so as not to hammer yourself with reverse implied odds.

[/ QUOTE ]

What kind of a flop are you going to fold? The size of the pot committs you to seeing the turn. You would have been getting 19:1 on a turn bet if everyone had just called a flop bet, so I don't think I'm folding the turn either. I don't find this hand easy to get away from per say.
Old 06-25-2005, 11:05 PM

I'll call a tight passive player on the river, but cap it against a notoriously aggressive player.

I like the rest. Although, I'll admit I don't cap 77 preflop often [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

felipe
Old 06-25-2005, 11:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What kind of a flop are you going to fold? The size of the pot committs you to seeing the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even with the size of the pot, I'm not messing around with AKQ/KQJ and other coordinated broadway flops, especially if it's multiple bets to me. For one bet, closing the action, it's a no-brainer call. But I don't suspect that will be the case most of the time.