Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2005, 08:49 PM

Default VERY LUCKY???

I dont know exactly where to post this, but figured this is the best place. I have a friend that has been playing NLH for about 8 months now. He has never read a poker book, does not post on this or any other forum, is in all honesty only average in intelligence, and has only a basic knowledge of odds, outs, equity etc. He plays drawing hands out of position, plays weak aces, will get all the money in on draws that are not close to the nuts, and will call a raise with a hand like KJoff at the drop of a hat. He is also up over 20 thousand cash in the last 4 months!!! I play in the same games with him sometimes and I cant believe what I see. He KNOWS he plays badly and gets involved when he shouldnt....but he wins so damned much that he says why change? As a matter of fact, in the last TWO DAYS he has made 5200. Last nite on Party 1000 buy in he racked up 2700! Two nites ago in live cardroom action he cashed out 2500! It is truly amazing to see this type of EXTENDED luck....or whatever you choose to term it. I just scatch my head and wonder when the luck runs out or when the laws of mathematics will take over? To win over 20 grand in 200 buy in games...and to do it in 4 months the way he plays and the hands he plays is mind boggling. If I hadnt witnessed it with my own two eyes I wouldnt believe it. Unreal.
Old 06-25-2005, 08:57 PM

Default Re: VERY LUCKY???

And... the point of this post is... what?

I would guess that he has a natural talent of extracting maximum value from his good hands, and playing a LAG style helps him getting payed off big when he hits also...
Old 06-25-2005, 08:59 PM

The point of the post is to simply discuss a poker related topic. Thats what a forum is...right? But since you obviously didnt care for it I will make sure to ask your permission before I post again.
Old 06-25-2005, 09:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But since you obviously didnt care for it I will make sure to ask your permission before I post again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good, as long as we all can agree on that one, then I am fine...
Old 06-25-2005, 09:43 PM

There's a wide range of winning styles in NL cash games (maybe wider than any other form of holdem). Plays that look bad to you might actually be optimal due to the reads he has (or information you're not aware of). It sounds like he's playing a ton of hands/hours, which is the best way to become a very good player.

I kibitz a lot of high stakes games on the internet, and good players will often play a hand in a way that seems unthinkable to me, but I'm sure they have a good reason, I'm just not thinking on their level (same thing when I'm reading 2+2, I often see something recommended that I would never think of doing).

Do you know what ranges his basic PT stats are and/or how many hands he's played?