Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2005, 04:12 PM

Default Help!! Getting killed at 1/2 (warning...small sample size)

I know this is a small sample, and I'm hoping some of you will reassure me that I'm just running really badly. I just moved up to 1/2 and trying to decide whether to stay! I didn't "crush" .5/1, but did a little more than 2BB/100 over 35k hands...so I was feeling pretty comfortable there. These last 3 days have been horrible. These hands are predominantly from 6-max tables at Absolute. Some things have just been plain unlucky...like winning with AA 3 out of 9 times for a significant loss. I can see that I'm going to showdown a bit too often, but I feel I've had a lot of decent hands that are consistently not holding up. Edit: I also noticed that my folding to steal percentage looks high from both blinds--higher than it was in my .5/1 games, which were mostly full ring games!! What are optimal numbers? I know posting hands is the best way to identify problems, but if any of you can spot some statistics that just flat-out need to be adjusted for 1/2 6-max games (again sample very small), I'd appreciate it. At least the Absolute bonuses absorbed most of these losses!

Old 06-25-2005, 04:42 PM

Default Re: Help!! Getting killed at 1/2 (warning...small sample size)

Since I'm still battling the move up to 1/2 myself (and, unsuccessfully, I guess, since I keep moving back down...I guess it's like quitting smoking, you don't do it just once) I can't really say a whole lot, here, except:

YOU JUMPED STRAIGHT INTO 6MAX?

It's giving me the heebie-jeebies just thinking about it.
Old 06-25-2005, 04:47 PM

I know there was a small sample size warning in the title, but this sample size is just too small to draw any reasonable conclusions from. Play more hands.
Old 06-25-2005, 04:47 PM

I don't know what good 6max numbers are. What I do know is that yours aren't very good and that you need to play more hands before posting stats. Even when you post a bundle of them, they are hard to sift through and the inferences that you can make are average at best. Two-thousand hands is pretty much a crapshoot in the world of poker...you know that. We need something more to work with to help you out.

Brad
Old 06-25-2005, 05:00 PM

I only played a handfull of 1/2 full before switching to 6max after moving up from .50/1. It's nothing to be afraid of. If you're playing solid 20-22/10-12 poker, you're probably already in the right mindset. However, if your discomfort with 6 max is going to make you play anything less than the very best poker you know how to play, then yeah, don't do it. You're going to have to learn the skills there sometime, however, so now is a as good a time as any to start getting comfortable.
Old 06-25-2005, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know what good 6max numbers are. What I do know is that yours aren't very good and that you need to play more hands before posting stats. Even when you post a bundle of them, they are hard to sift through and the inferences that you can make are average at best. Two-thousand hands is pretty much a crapshoot in the world of poker...you know that. We need something more to work with to help you out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, those last two sentences are certainly fair enough. I know everybody hates stats posts, especially with tiny samples. But what do you mean when you say you know these stats aren't good? Would you be a little surprised to see the same BB/100 with these stats over 50k hands? Or should I be asking someone else?
Old 06-25-2005, 05:09 PM

I don't know much about 6-max, but I can't imagine that a PFR of 11% is going to cut it. If you had a PFR of 11% for full ring, that would be just about right if the people that you play against are loose or typical.

For 6-max, I would imagine that you would have to raise more pre-flop. Does something like 15% sound reasonable?

Brad
Old 06-25-2005, 05:22 PM

I play 25%/17%. About as low as I would go is 22/12, and as high as 30/20 if you're really good and have a good wrap on the table. Are you playing 21/12 in full ring, or are you tending towards 17/8? If your ring stats tend towards the latter, you may want to switch back to full ring and get comfortable playing more hands and raising more.

Also, you should be looking to steal the blinds about 50% more often (30% ish).

Edit: It also looks like you're folding your blinds too much.
Old 06-25-2005, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I play 25%/17%. About as low as I would go is 22/12, and as high as 30/20 if you're really good and have a good wrap on the table. Are you playing 21/12 in full ring, or are you tending towards 17/8? If your ring stats tend towards the latter, you may want to switch back to full ring and get comfortable playing more hands and raising more.

Also, you should be looking to steal the blinds about 50% more often (30% ish).

Edit: It also looks like you're folding your blinds too much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Over the 35k .5/1 hands, I was at 19/8.7. However, I've been getting more aggressive. I was 20/10 over the last 20k. Those latter hands are tainted by maybe 1/4-1/3 6-max hands, though. I'll probably give 1/2 6-max another try, and work on raising my aggression some.

Thanks for the other comments as well; I also noticed how often I was folding on the blinds.
Old 06-25-2005, 07:25 PM

for a better reply check out the HUSH forums.