Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2005, 12:50 PM

Default Should I Have Raised the Flop ????

I usually don't play K9s from any position but this was a very very loose game and I called it.

After the flop I didn't raise because I thought that if I hit my flush I wanted more people in. If I had raised it's possible I might have won this pot.

Is raising under these circumstances standard?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls, Button folds, SB calls, BB calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls.

River: (10.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 12.50 BB
Old 06-25-2005, 04:46 PM

Default Re: Should I Have Raised the Flop ????

I'd strongly consider raising PF with it. isolate the limper. Yes raise the flop. Its not about losing customers, but maximzing your chances to win the pot. lots of players would have a hard time calling with anything if they have to call two cold. of course, you would've made things much eaiser on yourself if you had raised PF
Old 06-25-2005, 04:52 PM

i agree with Kdawg...if you are gonna play K9s in this situation then you should come in for a raise to knock out those behind you and hopefully isolate the limper...

this flop is a freakin dream for you, should defnitely raise, not only do you have a ton of value, but you also want to increase your chances to win it, you have the opportunity to make the field call two cold, which will help protect your hand...of course, its nice to have a strong draw, but most of the time its not gonna hit, you should protect your hand so that you still win when you miss your flush...
Old 06-25-2005, 05:19 PM

Preflop: I also limp here. I don't think you can even make a case for raising K9s unless you're in lp, and even then I'd still probably limp (this is assuming the pot is multiway. Open raising is obviously a different situation).

Flop: I think you have to raise here. You're probably ahead in the hand, and you almost certainly have the best draw. If you raise, you'll force hands like like 65 and A4 to either fold or make a very -EV cold call. Calling gives those sorts of hands the odds to draw out on you... don't let them do it.

Turn: This is exactly why you want to raise the flop in situations like this. Even though the board is paired, I think you have to draw to your flush.

River: It's not easy folding top pair, but I'd do it here.

IMO, your big mistake was on the flop, and it probably cost you the pot.