Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2005, 11:33 AM

Default 2/5 BM hand- one pair hand aint worth it

2/5 NL at Winstar in Oklahoma. Min buyin $300, max $500

Maniac has been pretty crazy, calling almost any 2 cards, raiseing any 2 suited. Straddling about 1/2 the time from UTG. Over all I think he was down $600-$800. Earlier that nite I had raised to $25 in MP with AQs and he reraised me to $125, one other caller in LP so I laid that one down. The flop was Axx, Maniac bet $100, LP raised all in to about $140 and maniac laid it down (!) saying he had JJ. Later, I stacked him when I flopped a set of 7's and he pushed me holding an OESD.

I also showed a very nice laydown against him when I had raised $25 with AJs he called, flop was T84, I bet $40, he called, turn was an A, I check/called his $50. River was a X, I checked, he bet $105 and I mucked face up. He showed T4 for 2 pair.

Rock had been, well, a rock. Seemed to have solid starting values. Didn't see him make any "moves".

This is right at the end of a 7-8 hours session. A buddy and I had just gotten racks to rack up and leave when the blinds came around again.

Hero ~$1200 in the BB
Maniac ~$600 UTG
Rock ~ $1500 in MP

Manic blind straddles, Rock raises to $25, folded to Hero who gets Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], I flat call, Maniac calls.

Flop - 784- 2 hearts
pot ~ $75

Hero checks, Maniac checks, Rock bets $25, Hero calls, Maniac calls.

Turn- x, pot ~$150

Check, check, Rock bets $160, Hero folds, Maniac calls.

River- 2- no flush, pot ~$470

Maniac goes all in for his remaining $250~, Rock calls and wins with JJ, Manic mucks showing a 7.

Ok ,so I'm a scaredy pants, but I didn't think Rock would pull this with less than AA-KK. I thought about the Turn bet until time was called on me before mucking because I figured that if I called the $160 then I would have to go at least the $250 that the maniac had left, so in essence it was a ~$400 call.

any comments welcome

regards,
Tim
Old 06-25-2005, 11:52 AM

Default Re: 2/5 BM hand- one pair hand aint worth it

A couple things bothered me about this hand...First, it seems clear that your decisions were being made based on the fact you were leaving, if that's the case, rack up and leave, don't h bother playing any more...Secondly, you never found out where you stood in this hand...Why not lead out on the flop or the turn for that matter. There is no way of knowing how strong the rock is woithout putting any pressure on him...Makes it easy to play scared (see comment 1) and put him on a hand thats beating you...Don't mean to come off to harsh but that's my thoughts, hope it helps...
Old 06-25-2005, 12:27 PM

Depending on how many players there were, if there were 6 or 7, I would have tried to narrow down the rocks hand before the flop by reraising, and then leading the flop and turn. As the previous poster said, you lost this hand because you didnt define it preflop, or find out where you stood post flop.

Bingo
Old 06-25-2005, 02:45 PM

dont fold and show that AJ to a maniac, also dont call the turn if youre folding the river

QQ you would have played differently if you werent getting up to leave, you know this, end of a session some things must be sacrificed for emotional stability

sorry offtopic but did they change that place to 21+ do you know? was going with some of my friends for the 4th but i heard some troubling rumors...21 in sept.
Old 06-25-2005, 05:13 PM

"dont fold and show that AJ to a maniac,"

why the heck not? it directly led to me stacking him later.

I agree with everyone's points about playing it too passivly and not defining my hand.... I guess I'm mostly posting it to reenforce it in my head.

I might want to make this point on the Psyche forum, but having a good winning session and fixin' to rack up and leave made it hard (and ultimately impossible) to play this hand correctly.
Old 06-25-2005, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
sorry offtopic but did they change that place to 21+ do you know? was going with some of my friends for the 4th but i heard some troubling rumors...21 in sept.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's 18+ that I know of.
Old 06-25-2005, 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I also showed a very nice laydown against him when I had raised $25 with AJs he called, flop was T84, I bet $40, he called, turn was an A, I check/called his $50. River was a X, I checked, he bet $105 and I mucked face up. He showed T4 for 2 pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

good laydown or not, i hate this line vs a maniac

\call the river
Old 06-25-2005, 05:40 PM

Please tell me why you flat called the raise with QQ threeway.