Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2005, 01:28 PM

Default Who are the 2006 NBA Champions?

Close game last night, as was discussed in the Game 7 thread. Tied at the beginning of the 4th Q, only a 4 pt differential within the last 2 mins. Congrats to Spurs fans, tough break for Pistons fans.

It may sound too early to ask, but I was thinking about, who would be the champions for next season? Yes, the season doesn't even start for several months, but the best time to discuss it is now, while the NBA is still fresh in your mind.

Last year, before the season started, many were already predicting Spurs and Pistons. At the time, the other contenders were the Pacers, T-Wolves, and possibly Heat. There were of course some surprises along the way, notably the T-Wolves collapsing, Artest suspended for the season, and Phoenix coming from nowhere. However, both finalists were as expected.

Looking to next year, is it just as predictable? Can anyone beat San Antonio or Phoenix in the West? Can anyone beat Detroit, Miami, or Indiana in the East? Out of those, who will make the finals, and who will be the champion?
Old 06-24-2005, 01:43 PM

Default Re: Who are the 2006 NBA Champions?

Heat over Pistons, Spurs over Suns, Heat over Spurs. That was easy - and I don't even like the NBA. Can we please have hockey back now?
Old 06-24-2005, 01:45 PM

Probably the Spurs again. Parker and Ginobili are only going to get better. They'll probably win 2 or 3 more before Duncan drops off.

Miami in the East if Shaq is healthy. His health is becoming more and more of an 'if' each year but they would have beat the Pistons if Wade wouldn't have gotten hurt and Shaq played on 1 leg the entire postseason.

Suns and Nuggets should be good out West. Pacers and the Pistons in the East although I think Det. will drop off some when Larry Brown leaves in a couple weeks.
Old 06-24-2005, 02:10 PM

The Spurs will dominate the West again next year unless one of the Western powers makes a significant change in the offseason. The T-Wolves have stated that they are going to be active this offseason, so I'd paint them as the favorites to make a run at San Antonio. No other team has the pieces in place yet to offer any real resistance against the Spurs specifically, although the Suns should be favored to win the regular season record and home court advantage again. I think Denver will be one of the more interesting teams out there, as they adjust to their first full year under Karl.

The East is where things get interesting. I'll say it now, if Larry Brown leaves Detroit, there will be a significant dropoff if they don't get a very strong replacement. There will be a power vacuum at the top of the East next year, and there are no less than three teams that will look to fill it up. Once again, I'm picking Indiana to be the best team in the league next year if circumstances don't crush them like they did this year. I'd say Miami is still favored to take the #1 seed. Detroit, Chicago, and New Jersey will all make a signiicant run at the top, but it's still too early to figure how successful they will be. If Larry Brown stays with the Pistons, they will continue to be right near the top.

Edit: oh yeah, smart money is on the Spurs repeating.
Old 06-24-2005, 02:21 PM

i think next year we'll get miami v phoenix - especially after the kurt thomas trade. shaq will be motivated for another big year since phil is back in la - denver, san antonio, detroit, and indy will all be good - but not good enough.
Old 06-24-2005, 02:22 PM

I'll go with the Heat to take it all.
Old 06-24-2005, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think next year we'll get miami v phoenix - especially after the kurt thomas trade. shaq will be motivated for another big year since phil is back in la - denver, san antonio, detroit, and indy will all be good - but not good enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

I honestly don't think Phoenix has what it takes to get by San Antonio, and Kurt Thomas isn't going to give it to them. They just don't match up well against the Spurs roster, and their gameplan is too easily exploitable by what the Spurs do best. If Minnesota or Denver knocks out the Spurs in one of the early rounds, Phoenix will become the favorite for the West.
Old 06-24-2005, 02:40 PM

Default The Clippers

I happened to see Mike Dunleavy driving recently, so I thought I'd put in a good word for him.
Old 06-24-2005, 02:41 PM

Default Re: The Clippers

[ QUOTE ]
I happened to see Mike Dunleavy driving recently, so I thought I'd put in a good word for him.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL - how completely random & hilarious.
Old 06-24-2005, 03:35 PM

In the mix:

Heat
Spurs
Pistons
Quite possibly no one else at this stage

Suns on the cusp of being in this discussion

Darkhorses:
Mavs
Rockets