Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2005, 05:35 AM

Default Flopped middle set - 100NL

Ive lost over 4 buyins this morning [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]. I know some of the losses were due to me making the wrong decisions at the wrong times. Sound familiar....?

Please could you checkup this hand, it may be standard, given the stacks, but my confidence has taken a knock.

My read on villain was that he was a typical loose/passive.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 10 handed) converter

Hero ($68.45)
MP2 ($192.75)
MP3 ($115.9)
CO ($138.45)
Button ($163.7)
SB ($129.4)
BB ($99)
UTG ($108.45)
UTG+1 ($100)
UTG+2 ($79.24)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.5.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+2 calls $1, Hero calls $1, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls $1, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB (poster) completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($5) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $4.5</font>, CO folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+2 calls $4.50.

Turn: ($14) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets $4</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $20</font>, UTG+2 calls $69.74 (All-In), Hero calls $42.95 (All-In).

Many thanks for all comments.

Ojo_Rojo
Old 06-24-2005, 05:53 AM

Default Re: Flopped middle set - 100NL

i think i'm just going to call the $4 bet on the turn, and hope the board pairs. i'll call another small bet on the river, but if my opponent shows tremendous strength after i get no help, i'm done.

cheers!
Old 06-24-2005, 06:27 AM

Looks like flush, perhaps 222, but doubtful.
Old 06-24-2005, 09:14 AM

villain check/calls the flop (typical of passive player)
then he underbets pot on turn, to me it looks like he paired his six with the ace of diamonds as well (which would explain his looseness)

i like a call here, especially since you still have 13 outs
Old 06-24-2005, 09:32 AM

I think it looked like the A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] flush draw trying to price itself in with such a small bet on the turn. So I probably would have raised here, like you.

Once I've done that and the villian 3-bets I change my mind to the flopped flush (played *really* badly). If the guy is REALLY passive, as you say, and has shown the table no aggression in your time playing with him then I'd fold here. You're not priced with only one card to come draw out.
Old 06-24-2005, 10:46 AM

I really hate monochrome flops.

And I agree with Woolyhat -- it's the flush now, surely. Simple question of pot odds as to whether you can call and try to boat up. Looks like a turn fold is in order.
Old 06-24-2005, 10:52 AM

no need to raise the turn.

Its a general attitude of this forum to always place their villain on the draw when infact this happens rarely.

We are always so worried about pricing them in for the draw or finding out where we are or not being passive that all pot control ideas go out the window.
Old 06-24-2005, 11:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it looked like the A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] flush draw trying to price itself in with such a small bet on the turn. So I probably would have raised here, like you.

Once I've done that and the villian 3-bets I change my mind to the flopped flush (played *really* badly). If the guy is REALLY passive, as you say, and has shown the table no aggression in your time playing with him then I'd fold here. You're not priced with only one card to come draw out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you, however, on a scary board like this one, i'll typically go ahead and call....I actually want to see a showdown here and I don't want to face a big reraise. I want to see a showdown for a couple of reasons...1) I have a set, and 2) i want to see what he donkbet that turn with.

I take notes on guys that make small bets trying to price in their draws and I punish them for it later....they will typically call big raises after they make that little bet...you might lose this pot, but you'll get very good information for later. In fact, I had a guy at my table last night that did this...i let him do it the first hand, luckily he didn't hit, and I got to see what he was doing...punished him soundly for the rest of the night when I stacked his flush draw with my full house, it was beautiful.
Old 06-24-2005, 11:18 AM

Many thanks folks.

I agree with most, if not all, of the replies. My raise on the turn pretty much had me pot committed, and was a mistake.

He made the mistake of trying to slowplay the nuts (he had ATd) and I should have taken advantage of this, having the implied + immediate odds to just call, and fill up on the river.

Ojo_Rojo
Old 06-24-2005, 12:20 PM

Also keep in mind that if he does have a diamond draw and you flat call the turn, he will probably fire the river whether or not a diamond hits. If one does come its an easy muck (unless its the lovely 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]), if one doesn't he'll make a decent bet and make up for your missed turn bet (that he was calling with his draw anyway). You also don't stack off to a made flush this way. Basically you don't really lose anything if you're ahead and you save a bundle when youre behind.

Kings