Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2005, 11:58 PM

Default New to Stud ... do you fold here?

Guy ahead of me with an ace completes, I call with 3 hearts, none dead on the board, and then a guy with 7 clubs raises. Do you call/raise here with the intention of going all-in if you see another heart on 4th or 5th?

Tournament - 7 Card Stud High-Low (50/100), Ante 10, Bring-In 15 (hand converter)

Seat 2: 640
Seat 3: 683
Seat 4: 491
Hero: 407
Seat 6: 1,003
Seat 7: 1,868
Seat 8: 1,308

3rd Street - (1.40 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___completes___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 7: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds

Total pot: (5.40 SB)
Old 06-24-2005, 12:15 AM

Default Re: New to Stud ... do you fold here?

I'd fold to the completion, and maybe even the bring in. In a tournament, you don't have any chips to spare, and I certainly isn't going to squander them in a on a 5-1 flush draw. Even if you hit your flush card on fourth, you're still about 50/50 to make it, so anyone with a pair will still be correct to call you. Basically, you're paying for the chance to gamble as a slight underdog, and that's if you hit perfect on fourth! With 400 chips left, I'd wait for a big/middle pair to go all in with, or at least 3 big broadway cards if I get desperate.

Having already called the completion, it's a easy call for one more bet as last to act.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:15 AM

If I counted right, you almost have to call here. Here is the situation: There are a decent amount of short stacks, but only one guy is knocked out. Folding here and trying to hang on isn't really an option. You are getting a bit over 5 to 1 on your call here, and if you hit a heart, I think you have to get all your money in. That is just my opinion, but normally in these tourney situations I am clearly wrong. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-24-2005, 12:38 AM

why in the world would you call in the first place? this hand belongs in the muck. i understand the antes are going to get larger but this hand has no promise. you can wait for better. it has almost no way of making a low and its high potential is rather questionable. dont put a cent in unless you are the bring in.
Old 06-24-2005, 01:03 AM

I agree with Ben here. You're sole goal in any hi/lo game it to play for the whole pot. Already on 3rd street you know that you are going to play for the high end only unless you catch 4 perfect low cards that are hearts. So by going high, you actually cut your pot odds in half b/c you know that you can only get half of the pot.
Old 06-24-2005, 02:24 AM

This is a semi-playable hand in a multi-way pot if it's cheap to get in. In a tournamnet where it's likely to get heads-up, it's death.

Having called the first bet, however, you have to call the second bet. You're getting 5:1 and your call closes the action. Hopefully, you either hit a heart or a blank. If you pair up, I don't know what to tell you.
Old 06-24-2005, 03:16 AM

Dude, u gotta peel off a card here. If it didn't work, c'est la vie.

I don't care what anyone says.

Sincerely,

Peeler.