Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2005, 02:03 PM

Default I cold call 77 on an SB defense

Villian is 27/14/3.5 after about 50 hands and like his stats indicate, he will take an aggressive line with overcards (or maybe nothing at all) I have 77 in the SB, an excellent defending hand right? Thoughts posted below

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

I think this is a standard 3 betting hand to knock out the BB, but I don't like it because now I have to lead into an aggresive player with a medium PP and he'll almost certainly play back at me.

Flop: (6 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero folds, BB folds.

Probably a good flop for 77, now I'm kind of upset that I let the BB in because I have to worry about him and the stealer. I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to bet the flop anyways, if he raises just call down? or check/call the flop and checkraise the turn?

Final Pot: 3.50 BB

Sorry for the weak blind defense post
Old 06-23-2005, 02:08 PM

Default Re: I cold call 77 on an SB defense

[ QUOTE ]

I think this is a standard 3 betting hand to knock out the BB, but I don't like it because now I have to lead into an aggresive player with a medium PP and he'll almost certainly play back at me.

[/ QUOTE ]

His agg number after 50 hands has not converged. You have to 3-bet to knock out the BB. I would just call in the BB and checkraise lots of flops, but you really want to get this heads-up, even if it's going to be tricky to play post-flop.

[ QUOTE ]
Flop: (6 SB) T, Q, 6 (3 players)

Probably a good flop for 77

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you kidding? You're beaten by almost every pocket pair, he's very likely to hold a Q or T and if he doesn't he almost certainly has at least 2 overcards to your hand and a gutshot draw. This is a really bad flop for you and with the BB still in, I think check-fold is fine.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:54 PM

If I knew BB was going to come into the hand I'd rather fold preflop than call. Easy easy raise...
Old 06-23-2005, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm much more concerned about not giving Q8 a cheap flop. Allowing the BB an easy in when you are holding a medium pocket is awful. This is strictly a raise-or-fold situation when your hand has showdown value unless BB never folds.

Having gotten heads up you can then do whatever you want on the flop. There is no law that says you have to bet. Against this player I would checkfold a disaster like AK8 and go for the checkraise with a promising flop like T64.

Anyway why should I care if Villain will raise the flop no matter what? I have a good hand and am not losing EV against this player on a reasonable flop because I'm ahead most of the time. It's the sensible players that create problems, not the robot-raisers. All his autoraise does is increase the stakes.
Old 06-23-2005, 03:07 PM

Definitely need to re-raise this one pf...