Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2005, 01:08 PM

Default 80/160 #4: AJs

80/160 Bellagio again. An opponent whom I regarded at the time as somewhat loose-aggressive, especially before the flop, open-raises from UTG+2. I 3-bet with AJs in MP. Folded to the opponent who 4-bets, I call (5-bet cap here).

Flop is K-rag-rag rainbow with one of my suit, my opponent checks and I check behind.

Turn is an offsuit J, my opponent bets and I call.

River is a T, opponent bets and I fold.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:17 PM

Default Re: 80/160 #4: AJs

Well played. I love the turn call, but I would expect to see a real hand here, based on his river bet (coupled with the PF 4 bet and the flop check). Only way you could have a better hand is if this fellow is bordering on maniac status.

TSP
Old 06-23-2005, 01:48 PM

What's the rule in Vegas: is there no cap when the pot turns into a head-up battle?

Anybody like raising the turn?
Old 06-23-2005, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anybody like raising the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah that's the main question here IMO. I've already asked two 2+2ers about this one privately and got two completely opposite responses.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:51 PM

I would usually raise the turn.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:00 PM

Raise the turn for a "free" showdown/fold to a 3-bet? The pre-lfop 4-bet and check the flop combo means trouble in my experience....but it might mean he totally missed as well, plus raising sounds like fun.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
80/160 Bellagio again. An opponent whom I regarded at the time as somewhat loose-aggressive, especially before the flop, open-raises from UTG+2. I 3-bet with AJs in MP. Folded to the opponent who 4-bets, I call (5-bet cap here).

Flop is K-rag-rag rainbow with one of my suit, my opponent checks and I check behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nate I'm sorry but this is terrible. Whats most terrible is the river fold -- were you just hoping for one of your 6 outs on the river? Or were you hoping for either one of your 6 outs or that he'd check through? Would you have called the river if the river was a complete blank (eg. less than a T)? In either case, your call on the turn is unjustified if you planned to fold the river in these scenarios -- (you didn't have pot odds to just call).

The flop check is weak but probably OK.

I'd have bet the flop or raised the turn given your read and if I played it like you did until the river, I'd have called the river.
Old 06-23-2005, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nate I'm sorry but this is terrible. Whats most terrible is the river fold -- were you just hoping for one of your 6 outs on the river? Or were you hoping for either one of your 6 outs or that he'd check through? Would you have called the river if the river was a complete blank (eg. less than a T)? In either case, your call on the turn is unjustified if you planned to fold the river in these scenarios -- (you didn't have pot odds to just call).

[/ QUOTE ]

That was my initial reaction. But when you think about it, what hand on the river can Nate possibly beat? His opponent is aggressive, but he's probably not 4-betting PF very lightly. If you think of a range of AA-TT, AKs, AK, AQs, there's not a single hand there that Nate beats.

This doesn't mean that I know why Nate just called the turn. I don't like the turn call more for the reason that after checking through the flop, and not raising the turn, the chance of getting a free showdown seems to be about nil, IMO.

But I don't play 80-160.
Old 06-23-2005, 03:53 PM

Default Andy . .

Hi Andy:

Raising this turn is extraordinarily dangerous, IMO. You have someone who has shown significant strength PF. The check on the flop smells. My experience from a few weeks ago in the Bellag. 80-160 leads me to believe that villian has a monster.

For example, let's say I (personally) 4 bet pre-flop and checked when a K and two rags come on the flop. The only hand I would EVER, EVER check with here is AA, KK, or perhaps AK. If I had anything else, I would be betting to represent that I have AA, KK, or AK, to knock out everything up to QQ.

Simplistic reasoning? Perhaps. However, Nate missed his flop and now has something on the turn -- this doesnt look like villian's plan of letting Nate 'catch up' came together?

I can see the argument for calling the turn and paying off the river, but I can't see firing into what appears to me to be a very good hand, in all liklihood.

TSP
Old 06-23-2005, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you played this hand against a player you describe as a LAG as if you were playing someone rather preditable. Given preflop was HU I think many players will 4 bet 99 of A10 suited. Flop check could mean a monster, could still be 99 that he is waiting to make a move on you with. Turn bet doesnt mean that much given the check through - 'wait, maybe i can bluff' bet.

I think raising the turn is the best play. But if you don't want to raise the turn you have to call the river. Of course if you think you can define his hand fairly tightly there are not many if any holdings you beat, but i think a LAG can have a wider holding here. Also, while a good player typically won't try the desperate river bet that can't possibly get a better hand to fold, an average player will - that is why I want to call the river.

To me turn call = river call, turn raise = more options depending on his reaction.