Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2005, 11:25 PM

Default UTG, AX in a passive game

I'm playing 6 handed now, still new to me. I find in late position I'm very confortable. But under the gun with a hand like A8 every bone in my body says fold because of how I played in 10 handed. but in a fairly passive game A8 is playable is it not ? At what point do I fold an A ? Playing A2 UTG seems senseless, even in just 6 handed.

I'm also limping with hands like QT, is this correct ? Conversely I'm raising QTs UTG, same with A8s.

I'm a little lost, granted my results have been decent. Just folded a few A's today that would have flopped for me, and wondered if it was me being too soft. I'm still coming in around 27 VPIP, 18% raise. So not overly tight to say the least.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:54 PM

Default Re: UTG, AX in a passive game

in general folding A8o and QTo (while raising their suited counterparts) UTG is probably your best bet.
Old 06-23-2005, 12:03 AM

Don't limp them, there will very often be raises behind you and then you virtually lost the hand if you don't hit.

I usually raise A9o and A8s, sometimes QTo, sometimes 66 when I'm UTG.
Old 06-23-2005, 12:14 AM

I cut off at A9o and A8s also, though there are players who profitably raise hands like A7o and A5s UTG.

Limping UTG is no good. Limping first-in from anywhere is rarely acceptable and you'd be better off never doing it as a new player. Raise or fold.
Old 06-23-2005, 10:43 AM

that's great advice, thanks guys.

So you're consistantly folding 22 UTG ? I think if I raised 22 UTG I'd be in for one tough hand after that. I was limping with 55 for instance trying to sucker in some callers, but found that in 6 handed I was almost never making sets. So how are you playing small pockets UTG ? I'd be comfortable raising 77's or higher, so what about lower then 7 ?