Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2005, 10:48 PM

Default Reraise the river in 8/b?

The check-raise caught me off guard so I thought for sure that the guy had a high. Is there a point to raising the river?
7 Card Stud High-Low ($1/$2), Ante $0.25, Bring-In $0.50 (hand converter)

3rd Street - (1.50 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___brings-in
Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls

4th Street - (3.00 SB)

Seat 4: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 6: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls

5th Street - (2.50 BB)

Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 6: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets

6th Street - (4.50 BB)

Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 6: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls

River - (6.50 BB)

Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Seat 6: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___checks___raises

Total pot: (10.50 BB)
Old 06-22-2005, 10:52 PM

Default Re: Reraise the river in 8/b?

I like a completion on third with your hand, but that's just my style. I play it the same the rest of the way. Its possible he has a wheel on the river which beats you so there is no point in reraising and not to mention that you don't really have a high hand. I'm guessing that you scooped this pot though and he rivered a crap low.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:56 PM

I think flat calling is better here. The times where you're against a total goof who raises with an obviously bad low and no high are going to few and far between at $1/$2. More likely than not he'll have at least a low as good as you're representing and a middle pair, though given villain's board, he couldn't possibly have both. The only possible card that hurts you is if he hits a 2, and there's only 3 of them left. This has happened to me a few times and I think it ended up being split most of the time, followed by him hitting a lower low and straight, and then I scooping being the rarest.
Old 06-23-2005, 12:27 AM

The problem with completing on third is that there is an Ace right behind you. If he makes it two bets, you're apt to be heads-up with a hand that prefers multi-way action.

I like the way empyrean played this hand. It is unlikely that the other guy would check-raise the river with a hand that doesn't beat him in at least one direction, so I think the call on the end is appropriate.
Old 06-23-2005, 05:46 PM

Calling the river sounds good to me; while it's probably a split, if anyone is scooping, it seems that it's more likely him than you.

Would it also be a call (rather than a raise) if he had led the river instead of check-raising? I believe I would just call in that case as well.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:24 PM

I think he would be showing even more strength by betting the river than check raising because his river bet, knowing that Hero would likely bet, seems like a clear attempt to get 3bets instead of 2.