Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2005, 06:34 PM

Default 80/160 #2: 44

80/160, same must-move game as before. Chris Daddy Cool has come over to sweat me. He's been good luck and I've picked up a couple of pots.

I have 44 in the CO and open-raise. The BB, a nerdy-looking fat kid who plays too fast and likes to make moves is the only caller.

Flop K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. BB checks, I bet, he calls.

Turn 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] BB checks, I bet, he raises, I 3-bet pretty quickly.
Old 06-22-2005, 06:51 PM

Default Re: 80/160 #2: 44

Well, that's certainly forcing him to define his hand. If he likes to shake-n-bake he knows that 2nd 9 is the perfect card with which to do it against your K or high PP. If he calls or re-raises you know you're beat so I like the 3-bet.
Old 06-22-2005, 06:56 PM

Good hand Nate. A classic spot for a free showdown play. You can easily fold if he comes back over the top, this guy could easily be bluffing you here and you sure as heck don't want to call him down and give him a chance to catch a 6 outer on you. I've been trying to force myself to 3-bet the turn more when I have a weak hand and I think my opponent is bluffing in order to force a 6-outer fold.
Old 06-22-2005, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The BB, a nerdy-looking nerdy-looking fat kid..

[/ QUOTE ]

Supbro?

Seriously though, nh.

I see why you did it, but I wouldn't have thought to do it.
Old 06-22-2005, 06:58 PM

I'm pretty sure a K or 7 loses the hand for Nate. So villain has a lot of outs even when Nate is ahead on the turn. Like 12.

Edit: OK, 7s might chop.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:26 PM

Default How comfortable are you with your description of this player?

You described the perfect type of player to make this move against. You wrote he "plays too fast and likes to make moves". However, how sure are you about how he plays? Have you played with him in the past? A few hours? Just half an hour? If you are right about how he plays, your 3-bet looks like a +EV move. If you were wrong by just a few "degrees", I think the 3-bet was a losing play. So it boils down to how comfortable you are of your own assessment of him.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:36 PM

Default Re: How comfortable are you with your description of this player?

[ QUOTE ]
You described the perfect type of player to make this move against. You wrote he "plays too fast and likes to make moves". However, how sure are you about how he plays? Have you played with him in the past? A few hours? Just half an hour? If you are right about how he plays, your 3-bet looks like a +EV move. If you were wrong by just a few "degrees", I think the 3-bet was a losing play. So it boils down to how comfortable you are of your own assessment of him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only had played against him for a couple of hours, but I felt fairly comfortable with the read as he had been involved in a lot of hands.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:56 PM

on behalf of nerdy-looking fat kids everywhere, I'm offended...

(ni han)
Old 06-22-2005, 10:49 PM

Why bet the turn against the kid who likes to makes moves? If you have to put more chips in here when you get checkraised, I think checking behind and calling a river bet is better.
Old 06-23-2005, 10:39 AM

This play is great as long as you don't use it too often.

I do have concerns on this particular hand. There are a lot of river cards that could come that he could bet and you would still be guessing. Any one of the many straight or flush cards.

That said your play is actually great if the board repairs because you now have the perfect setup to bluff and possibly move him off a winner such as a missed gutshot which is now the best hand.

The other thing is -- if he is the type to sometimes 4-bet without the goods, you can't make this play.