Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2005, 02:40 PM

Default AKs in BB, middle stage

This is a hand from the WSOP Event #2 ($1500NLHE). Average stack is probably around T4000, blinds 100/200 with 25 ante, 8-9 players. I am on the BB. John D'Agostino is in the SB, it folds to him and he limps. He has T2100 more behind, I have about T5000. I look down at AKs and announce raise. When I look at his stack size and the size of the pot I can't decide on a good amount to raise that won't give me a weird decision on the flop the 2/3 of the time that I miss.

What's your play here and your plan for the flop?
Old 06-22-2005, 02:48 PM

Default Re: AKs in BB, middle stage

Raise 2100.

Nick
Old 06-22-2005, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise 2100.

Nick

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah. hope he makes a "great" call.
Old 06-22-2005, 04:40 PM

I did in fact raise all in and he folded. At the time I thought that it might not have been optimal, but I didn't want to leave myself committed no matter the flop, nor did I want to allow myself to get outplayed. It's good to see better tournament players agree with my decision though. Thanks.
Old 06-22-2005, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a hand from the WSOP Event #2 ($1500NLHE). Average stack is probably around T4000, blinds 100/200 with 25 ante, 8-9 players. I am on the BB. John D'Agostino is in the SB, it folds to him and he limps. He has T2100 more behind, I have about T5000. I look down at AKs and announce raise. When I look at his stack size and the size of the pot I can't decide on a good amount to raise that won't give me a weird decision on the flop the 2/3 of the time that I miss.

What's your play here and your plan for the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

fwiw, you should look at his stack and figure out how much you're going to raise before you say anything.
Old 06-22-2005, 05:13 PM

Yeah you're right I should always have my decision ready before announcing a raise. With this hand though I can't think of any stack size of his where I would want to check.
Old 06-22-2005, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah you're right I should always have my decision ready before announcing a raise. With this hand though I can't think of any stack size of his where I would want to check.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's true. i was thinking it's possible you could tip him off to that fact by announcing raise. probably paranoia, but i'm getting ready to go to vegas and i'm trying to keep this stuff in mind.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i was thinking it's possible you could tip him off to that fact by announcing raise. probably paranoia, but i'm getting ready to go to vegas and i'm trying to keep this stuff in mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the villain is a good player and he thinks I'm a good player, I think it's more likely that he'll put me on some standard raising hand that should be good enough to play all in here, although not necessarily premium. He'll realize that I had something I was going to raise with, thought about a standard raise, then saw his stack - and decided I wouldn't be able to fold later so I changed my mind and went all in. Something more like a mid-PP. Or maybe I'm the one that's overthinking it.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:12 PM

Harrington mentions this hand in HOH Vol I.

The basic premise is that you probably have the best hand, but if you bet too much you give hands like AQ, AJ the opportunity to fold too easily.

I'd raise to T900 and take the flop in position.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:51 PM

The problem I see with that is, I am fairly certain I am ahead here, but I will have no idea after the flop about 2/3 of the time.

If you raise to 900 you are planning on calling an allin on the flop if you miss? I can't see how you could fold given the pot and stack sizes.