Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2005, 01:13 PM

Default A river bluff 1k sng stars

We are at the opening level of a 1k sng on stars, so we all have 1500 chips or so.

I get red 99 in CO. Some guy in middle position limps, MP makes it 100. I call from CO as does the limper and a blind. Pot has around 400 in it heading to flop. We all look at a 7c6c2d flop. Original raiser bets 150, folded to me I call its HU to the turn which is a 2c. He bets 150 again, I call. River is the Qc. He bets 150 for a third time, I raise all in. It was for roughly 1k more in a 1k pot.

-Jason
Old 06-22-2005, 01:15 PM

Default Re: A river bluff 1k sng stars

I like because he likely wont call without the Ace/King of clubs, and, if hes uber tight, the Ace of clubs only.

But then again, I dont play 1k sngs, so what do I know :P
Old 06-22-2005, 01:25 PM

His betting is pretty weak but I dislike the river push like that.

If you had a club (especially the K or A) the average person would not push there, even though it is a pot sized raise, since he wants to get paid off in a showdown, not bet the other person off the pot. Your push screams "do not call" which, if he has a club, might open his range of calling. I would be more inclined to bump it up to 500-600 which will scare a lot more people off their hands.

I'm a donk though.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:27 PM

Name a hand that pushes the river there. The ace or king of clubs raises to gets called and the jack/ten of clubs calls the raise to see if they rivered the pot.

The river push there smells very very fishy to me.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:29 PM

Jason,

Who was it that you did that to? In these higher buy in games, its easier to have longstanding reads on some of those guys.

I think its a good play. Although I think I'd put in the big raise on the turn, but the river card sure makes for a good bluff card huh?

Nice move.

Nick

p.s. Amazing how soft those $500 and $1k sng's are huh?
Old 06-22-2005, 02:00 PM

I fold the turn.
He bet t150 into a t400 pot into 3 opponents on the flop where one of his opponents could very easily have an overpair. He's either making a retarded continuation bet with air and will fold to a raise, or he's betting Ax clubs into the field and hoping for a raise so he can get his stack in the middle. Since you can't withstand a semibluff reraise on the flop, I would just call as you did, looking to take the hand on a non-scary turn.

Once the 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] falls and he bets I'm mucking. I'd bet the exact same amount as he did with the flush as many aggro opponents will put him in with any two sensing weakness. If he was making a c-bet with a whiffed AK on the flop I can't see him firing again on the turn given the 3-flush board. You can call and hope to fill up, but only 2 of your outs have high implied odds associated with them, as I can't see you stacking him if the board is 76222.

BTW I don't thnk you can get him to lay down a better hand on the river, simply because I can't think of a made hand other than the nut flush that would play the hand so weakly, and asking a random player to lay that down fearing the boat on this board isn't something I'd want to get in the habit of doing.

DISCLAIMER: I have no idea what I'm talking about.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:09 PM

I like this play against the right opponent if it was the 4th plus round of the sng. The result of you successfully bluffing your opponent will give you a chip lead but it will not guarantee a spot in the $. If the bluff fails you are out $1000. I don’t think the risk is worth the reward this early.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:42 PM

Do you have any reads on this guy?

What kind of a hand are you tring to represent? To me it looks a like you have a set and filled up on the turn and wanted him to catch up on the river, but how often do you call with a set on a fairly cordinated board like this? I like this play a lot more if you think you can get him to lay down an overpair with a club like KcKx. At the very least you can get some good advertising on this hand as I believe you are a fan of the river overbet with the near nuts so letting these guys see that you bluff there too wouldn't be horrable for the long term.

I'm curious about the turn call. What kind of hand did you have this guy on and what else were you planning on bluffing the river on.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:56 PM

I'm slightly curious about the preflop call. Did you anticipate that the limper was likely to come along if you called? I don't think I'm too excited about playing the 99 heads-up postflop without a pretty decent read on MP, but your mileage may vary.

I like the play. I assume the purpose of the push on the end is to scare out non-Ac one card flushes. Figuring that you have ~9 outs to bluff on, I think this makes the turn call pretty good. I'm curious what your plan was if the river came blank; call small bets, fold to a bet of ~400 or so?
Old 06-22-2005, 03:00 PM

Going against the grain here a little, but I actually like the push. His river beat seems weak to me. I think he would have value bet for more than another 150 if he had a big flush and I don't think he's calling with a low one after the 4th club hits the river. I also don't see him calling without a flush. Of course, any reads could change my take though. But with none, I think it's a good move.