Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2005, 12:29 PM

Default TT in the small blind

UTG was a LAG, MP1 was TAGish, both over small samples.

Where did I go wrong?

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $5.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls, CO (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (6 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, MP1 calls, MP3 calls, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, MP1 calls, MP3 calls.

Turn: (8 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 3-bets</font>, MP3 folds, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG caps</font>, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

River: (20 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, MP1 calls.

Final Pot: 29 BB
Old 06-22-2005, 12:39 PM

Default Re: TT in the small blind

I probably would've raised PF. Since you didn't I like the flop c/r.

The rest of the hand seems pretty standard.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:42 PM

You went wrong? Other than not raising preflop it looks good. Turn 3 bet makes the straight seem pretty likely but you have a set with odds to draw for a fill. If someone has an unraised big pp in a situation like this (QQ) or hits 2 board quads, nothing you can do about that, 99/100 you'll shown something like 99 66 JK or some fish playing AA crazy cause it's AA.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:45 PM

PF: Raise, you have a pot equity advantage with TT.

Flop: The way to played it you should have led out, you got lucky that the guy to your left bet and allowed you to checkraise the field. It's bad if this gets checked through when you have top set against a large field because you miss multiple bets.

Turn: Cap it. You’re only behind QQ, since no one raised PF it's likely nobody has it. And, KJ or 78 or J8 which you have outs to a FH against.

River: Good. If you loose to QQ or 99 so be it.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:07 PM

Raise PF. I think you made the right choice on the turn given you reads. 87 for UTG and KJ for MP1 are real possibilities.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Flop: The way to played it you should have led out, you got lucky that the guy to your left bet and allowed you to checkraise the field. It's bad if this gets checked through when you have top set against a large field because you miss multiple bets.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think on a board this draw heavy the c/r is the way to go. I think he got decidedly unlucky by the guy on his left leading; the ideal situation is to have an LP player lead and face the field with 7:2 odds.

I mean 8:2

edit: I would also say raise PF, in which case you must lead the flop, but if you're just completing the c/r is the way to go IMO
Old 06-22-2005, 02:11 PM

Raise PF and lead the flop. Call the turn as you did, and be fearless of QQ on the river as you cap it.
Old 06-22-2005, 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think on a board this draw heavy the c/r is the way to go. I think he got decidedly unlucky by the guy on his left leading; the ideal situation is to have an LP player lead and face the field with 7:2 odds. I mean 8:2

[/ QUOTE ]

The draws on the board are a good reason to bet out, IMO. They'll pay to draw! And you've got a good redraw if they do hit. Besides, if Hero had raised PF, the pot would be big enough to want to take it down right away instead of trying to get fancy.

If he falls prey to FPS and decides to c/r, I'm not sure I even agree that a bet from his immediate left is a bad thing. At this point I want to build a pot more than chase people out. The big problem is that easily the worst outcome is the flop checking through, so I'd bet.
Old 06-22-2005, 03:30 PM

Crunchy, I refrained from raising preflop because I was OOP. In this situation, how for down the pp's do you go before you just complete?

I don't mind playing TT in a raised pot from late position, but it's tricky playing it from first position when an A, K, Q, or J flops with this many players. As it is, I was able to save 1 sb the times when the flop comes not to my liking, and get back most of what I lost by c/ring when the flop is attractive.

Leader: "87 for UTG and KJ for MP1 are real possibilities." At the time I wasn't sure what they had, but the betting was too strong for somebody not to have a monster.

Shark, I agree I was lucky it was the BB who bet the flop there, allowing me to get two bets from most of the field. But I would have been very surprised if somebody hadn't bet it. In my -limited - experience, the players at this level rarely let flops get checked through, especially with this many players.
Old 06-22-2005, 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Crunchy, I refrained from raising preflop because I was OOP. In this situation, how for down the pp's do you go before you just complete?

[/ QUOTE ]
Depends on the table and the players. TT is a raise at least 95% of the time - probably more.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't mind playing TT in a raised pot from late position, but it's tricky playing it from first position when an A, K, Q, or J flops with this many players. As it is, I was able to save 1 sb the times when the flop comes not to my liking, and get back most of what I lost by c/ring when the flop is attractive.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's discussed in SSHE (as well as virtually daily in this forum) why you should not be passing up on these equity edges PF. You missed out on 5SBs in this pot.

You can be a winning player by never letting yourself get into these "tricky" situations playing hands like TT in raised pots OOP. However, you also won't win as much as someone who does and you'll also have that hole in your improvement as a poker player.