Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2005, 02:07 AM

Default where to get started

hey stud folks. im venturing over from the small stakes hold em forum because im interested in adding stud(hi and hi/lo) to my repotoire. im curious where to start as i'm a novice to the game. all i really know of stud is what can be learned from TOP, which is good, but of course I want to learn all the intricacies needed to beat the game at a full clip (or at least be headed in that direction). so what do people suggest. in particular if i was to get just one stud book which one should i get? should i log in hours playing for play money online first?

ok thanks in advance and sorry if these questions have been asked a million times.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:12 AM

Default Re: where to get started

Seven Card Stud for Advanced Players is the best Stud book you can get. I don't play much Stud Hi so I'm not sure about the fluctuations, but as far as 8/B goes it is supposed to be less than Limit Holdem, although that doesn't seem to be the case with me [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 06-22-2005, 02:15 AM

No problem. Some people are currently worked on a sticky for this forum to answer a lot of these common questions.

But, since it isn't up yet... no question, Seven Card Stud for Advanced Players by Sklansky is the book to get. Variance can be higher in stud hi and lower in stud hi/lo (for the most part). In stud hi, you're usually pushing smaller edges than in hold'em, and there is an extra betting round.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:21 AM

cool, does sklansky's book deal with hi/lo 8ob also?
Old 06-22-2005, 02:26 AM

Get High Low Split Poker by Ray Zee I think it is and also Super System 2 has a nice section on it as well. Play Poker like the Pros by Hellmuth also has a section on it, but it has been a long time sice I read it so I can't remember if it is any good or not
Old 06-22-2005, 10:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
no question, Seven Card Stud for Advanced Players by Sklansky is the book to get.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was told by a mid-limit stud player/poster than this book isn't appropriate for a typical low limit stud game, given the ante structure and the fact that many of the strategies in the book revolve around using isolation raises, which don't work nearly enough at low limits.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
no question, Seven Card Stud for Advanced Players by Sklansky is the book to get.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was told by a mid-limit stud player/poster than this book isn't appropriate for a typical low limit stud game, given the ante structure and the fact that many of the strategies in the book revolve around using isolation raises, which don't work nearly enough at low limits.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is kind of true, but its still a must read.

As MRBAA has said a bunch of times, if you're raising, you should be raising cause you want to get more money in the pot, not to protect it and knock people out. It just doesn't work at the lower limits..

I think u can start making these kinds of plays at 3/6 tho. But I'm not really sure.