Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2005, 01:07 AM

Default How to properly stack your chips....newbie question

I was reading a post last week about someone going to play live for the first time and he was given advice on how to stack his chips and place bets. Well, looks like I will be headed to the local card room next week with some friends that are coming in to town, and I really don't want to look like an idiot.

Having never played live in a casio, how should I stack my chips? Say I have $100 should I keep the chips I'm not using in $20's? Also when making a bet, we will be playing the lowest limit available, say in a 2/4 game, do I have one stack for the call and another for the raise and push both in or just one small stack?

I know I look pretty stupid right now, I just want to make sure I don't look stupid when I sit down for real.

Thanks for all the help
Old 06-22-2005, 01:11 AM

Default Re: How to properly stack your chips....newbie question

Just verbally announce your actions "call", "raise", "two bets", "make it three bets", "check" etc, and then count out your chips. You'd be surprised at how many spaz's there are at a poker table, chips get spilled, dumped, miscounted, all the time. I am one of the biggest offenders.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You'd be surprised at how many spaz's there are at a poker table, chips get spilled, dumped, miscounted, all the time. I am one of the biggest offenders.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sir, you aren't drinking enough beer at the table if you're spilling chips. You need to have a few more! Well that's my philosophy at any magooie type table.

When I yell SHIP IT!! I don't mean the pot, I mean that tray of alcohol the waitress is carrying. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-22-2005, 02:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Having never played live in a casio, how should I stack my chips? Say I have $100 should I keep the chips I'm not using in $20's?

[/ QUOTE ]

Most people keep them in stacks of 20 chips. Since you're most likely playing 2/4 or 3/6, that will be stacks of $20.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:44 AM

neatly organized stacks of 20.

and it doesn't matter how you stack your chips when you bet or call.
Old 06-22-2005, 03:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was reading a post last week about someone going to play live for the first time and he was given advice on how to stack his chips and place bets. Well, looks like I will be headed to the local card room next week with some friends that are coming in to town, and I really don't want to look like an idiot.

Having never played live in a casio, how should I stack my chips? Say I have $100 should I keep the chips I'm not using in $20's? Also when making a bet, we will be playing the lowest limit available, say in a 2/4 game, do I have one stack for the call and another for the raise and push both in or just one small stack?

I know I look pretty stupid right now, I just want to make sure I don't look stupid when I sit down for real.

Thanks for all the help

[/ QUOTE ]

It's best to always say what you are going to do before you do it. Never say, "I call 3, and raise 3." That will be interpreted as a string bet. Just say "Raise." Some people like to SHOUT, "RAISE IT!" [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

It's also better to to bet/raise with your chips in one stack, rather than two. This also helps prevent your action from being interpreted as a string bet. However, if you've clearly said "Raise," this isn't important.

If you happen to have trouble handling your chips, you can make a few stacks with the right number of chips to bet or raise with, so you don't have to count your chips. This is not "cool," but is better than slowing down the game by taking a long time to count chips.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Since you're most likely playing 2/4 or 3/6, that will be stacks of $20.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously not many Foxwoods regulars on this forum, I see. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-22-2005, 08:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Since you're most likely playing 2/4 or 3/6, that will be stacks of $20.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously not many Foxwoods regulars on this forum, I see. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously this forum's posters prefer to play in rooms that don't rake, what is it, $6? Or use silly denoms like $2 chips in a $2/$4 game?
Old 06-22-2005, 09:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Obviously this forum's posters prefer to play in rooms that don't rake, what is it, $6? Or use silly denoms like $2 chips in a $2/$4 game?

[/ QUOTE ]

Naah, it's just $4 rake. (No jackpots though.) You caught my point about the silly denoms, though, which is why I'm on a one-man quest to bring white chips into the $2/4 game. Gives me a way to amuse myself while building the bankroll back up for $4/8.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:54 AM

I've found it's easier to handle chips (especially if you're new) when they're stacked in multiples of BB. Examples:

playing 4/8 - Have a few stacks of 8 chips, and the rest in stacks of 16. If you're raising the flop, just grab a stack of 8. If you're raising the turn/river, grab a stack of 16.

This way you don't need to worry about fumbling with the chips, not bringing out enough chips, not correctly stating your action, etc (all the little newbie mistakes everyone makes)