Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2005, 08:13 PM

Default horse betting

Hello,
I was wondering if I could get some advice on betting horses. I usually only bet the triple crown races but am looking into maybe wagering on more races, if anybody has any tips I am all ears, I have really struggled to gain any wins in my young career???????
Old 06-21-2005, 10:20 PM

Default Re: horse betting

Focus on picking winners when you first start. Don't waste time with exotics until you can pick winners.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:04 AM

Best advice I can give is to bet on horses for fun because you are not going to be a long term winner. If you wanna make $ gambling, read Winning at Low Limit Holdem by Lee Jones and then read SSHE by Sklansky and make $ playing poker. You could also follow the boxing picks by Tuds and myself and you would make decent $.

Indiana
Old 06-22-2005, 04:10 PM

Here's an old bit that related to your question...

Noob horse better: Can I make a small fortune betting on horses?

Old time gambler Sure...

Noob horese better: Great... how?

Old time gambler: Start with a large one.

Very few people are long term winners on horses. It is possible to make money in the long run, but the huge cut the "house" takes from the betting pool makes it very difficult to consistantly find value. then , even if you find value and place a bet, you can't be certain that the odds will hold up. There's nothing like finding a true 4-1 offering 10-1 and running to make a bet. Then, once the bet is down (and more money goes on the horse) the odds drop to 2-1. Then you have to run to the windows again to try to get the bet canceled in time (and if you bet off track, you usually don't even have the option of canceling the bet).
Old 06-22-2005, 09:56 PM

Beating the horses is easy. Ignore the speed figures, they are worthless and everyone else uses them. Pace, class, trainer intention, and track profiles are the key. There is gold in the place pools if you aren't the greedy type. Keep a database and learn how to watch races. It's not brain surgery or rocket science. The best days to play are Saturdays and holidays.