Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2005, 12:49 PM

Default 3 betting pf to isolate medium or large monkey

At the 3/6 party game I was wondering what hands everyone uses to 3 bet with in order to isolate a medium monkey (60% vpip w/ a pfr of 15%) and a large monkey (70% vpip and 25% pfr) assuming you are one to two seats to the left of him. these are my current standards but they may not be loose enough: in general I 3 bet with TT+, AKo, and AKs; vs a medium sized monkey (described above) I will 3 bet w/ 77+, any suited ace, ATo+, KJs+, and KQo; vs. the large monkey (described above) I will three bet w/ any pair, any ace, and KJo+. Let me know what you think?
Old 06-21-2005, 12:51 PM

Default Re: 3 betting pf to isolate medium or large monkey

A lot depends on how the monkey plays after the flop, and your own image. If he is capable of folding postflop, my 3-bet standards will be lighter than yours. If he goes into calldown mode, you obviously have to be more selective.
Old 06-21-2005, 07:08 PM

lets just assume that the monkey in both cases are average postflop in terms of agression, but are more than likely going to show down their hand.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:49 AM

I was also wondering what can be done if you happen to be on the right of this kind of monkey do you choose to raise a little more knowing he may reraise preflop to drive out other opponents and isolate you. This is obviously a riskier move, but how can you most effectively make it work?