Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2005, 11:32 AM

Default UB 10,000 Guaranteed Last Night

I made the final table last night in good shape [4th in chips]. 1st place had roughly 4 times the chips as everyone else. He was a preflop move-in artist and severely crippled me with about 30 left [pushed preflop for the 4th time in as many hands; I had 77 in the BB and had him covered; I called, he had KA and rivered the A].

I had 4 consecutive all-ins after that crippling blow and won them all. Then the deck hit me in the face with tons of action, which got me to the final table. Then this hand came up;

Blinds/Antes 1500/3000 and 300

A is at seat 0 with $40,000.
B is at seat 1 with $11,000.
C is at seat 2 with $59,000.
D is at seat 3 with $63,000.
E is at seat 4 with $189,000.
F is at seat 5 with $30,000.
G is at seat 6 with $14,000.
H is at seat 7 with $66,000.
Villian is at seat 8 with $26,000.
Hero is at seat 9 with $59,500.
The button is at seat 7.

Villian posts the small blind of $1500.
Hero posts the big blind of $3000.

A: -- --
B: -- --
C: -- --
D: -- --
E: -- --
F: -- --
G: -- --
H: -- --
Villian: -- --
Hero: Jd Ad

Pre-flop:

A folds. B folds. C folds. D folds. E folds.
F folds. G folds. H folds.
Villian raises to $6000. Hero re-raises to $13,000.
Villian calls.

<font color="blue"> [The villian has been to my right for the last two tables. My read on him is weak-tight. I am sure his read on me is aggressive] </font>

Flop (board: 5c 9h 6d):

Villian bets $3000. Hero calls.

<font color="blue"> [Should I have put him to a decision here? Or should I have done that preflop? At the time I thought I was getting a cheap look at the turn.] </font>

Turn (board: 5c 9h 6d 10s):

Villian checks. Hero checks.

<font color="blue"> [I hate my play here. I suspect I am either behind or a little ahead. The Villian may be pot committed at this stage in any event.] </font>

River (board: 5c 9h 6d 10s 3s):

Villian checks. Hero bets $10,700.
Villian calls and is all-in.

<font color="blue"> I felt that I played that hand like a total donkey; regardless of the results. I would not fold that hand preflop in these circumstances, maybe that is a leak. In hindsight I should have pushed preflop, the results may have been the same, but I would have been happier with my play. Comments? I will post the results in another post. </font>
Old 06-21-2005, 11:46 AM

Default Re: UB 10,000 Guarenteed Last Night

You played this hand like a complete girly-man. No offense to any girls who might be reading this forum.

PREFLOP: I mean honestly, do you always min-raise min-raises? If he is coming in for 6k your minimum raise should be between 15-20k not this 13k BS. You should let him know that his entire stack is going to be going in on this hand if he decides to play and put the pressure on him. If you are not willing to do that then just call his raise and see a flop. If your min-raising is how you feel aggressive players play than I think you are sorely mistaken.

FLOP: Again, you are playing this hand like a complete donk. You min-raise him preflop then call his bet on the flop, what exactly are you planning on doing here? If you wanted to play this hand scared then why did you raise him preflop? I fold here if I just called, you have no pair, no draw (6 dirty outs probably) and I would have raised him such a substantial amount of his stack preflop he would have been forced to push or fold. Of course if he called off 2/3 of his stack and pushes the flop I'm calling regardless of what hits.

With how you played it I think folding here is your best option, the villain has too much of his stack invested in this pot to fold (over 50%).

TURN: Obvious check

RIVER: Wow, why didn't you do this preflop or on the flop when he might have folded. You decided to wait until he assumed you had NOTHING (which is what you basically have) to put him.. to the test? Obvious call with any pair since your push screams "DO NOT CALL". I would say a bet of like 1/3-1/2 the pot would have a better chance to get him to fold since it looks like you want a call.

You leaked away like half your stack in this hand man.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:46 AM

Default Results

Results:

I was very perplexed by these results. Not really what I expected. Either the Villian had a good read on me and put me on AQ, AJ, A10 or was as big as a Donkey as I was.

Villian 2d 2c [Pair of 2s]
Hero Ad Jd [A high]

I ended up going out in 9th, which sucked. I made a questionable call with 44 against A3 for the rest of my stack and lost. Live and learn.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:52 AM

I agree with you criticisms. Nothing like playing good solid poker for 3.5 hours and then giving away your stack like this. I would have been much happier if I pushed preflop and lost it; rather then playing badly postflop and losing my chips.
Old 06-21-2005, 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
honestly, do you always min-raise min-raises? If he is coming in for 6k your minimum raise should be between 15-20k not this 13k BS. You should let him know that his entire stack is going to be going in on this hand if he decides to play and put the pressure on him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually looking at the numbers, I don't think that's too bad of a re-raise. If the SB calls, it only leaves him with T10,000 and pot committed in my mind...which to me, he can't flat-call without pushing, but he did. Maybe a raise of T18000 would've been better, forcing him to fold or push pre-flop but I'd figure the T13000 would've accomplished the same thing.

Regardless, you HAVE to put him all-in on the Flop when he checks to you...lost the pot there, but you already know that.