Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2005, 11:17 AM

Default 6-handed $100, Playing AK really goofy

The converter's being uncooperative, so I'm just gonna do this the old fashioned way.

Hero ($100) has A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. UTG folds, UTG+1 (~$110) raises to $4, folded to me, I reraise to $12. (Should I reraise more? Is smooth calling an option?) He calls. Villain is a rockish TAG.

Flop comes K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Hero bets $20. Villain min-raises. I re-min-raise. He pushes, I fold.

This is a not the line I actually took. Actually I pushed after his flop reraise and got busted by KQ offsuit, and upon reflection, wondering if there was a line which could save me some money here (aside from smooth calling preflop, or pushing preflop, which seems silly) all I could come up was this seemingly atrocious line. The logic being that most people will just call on a draw or a weak top pair here, rather than push, thus defining their hand for me. Is this complete idiocy? Is it even remotely feasible if I know the opponent to be a rock, or a solid TAG? With no flush draw on board?
Old 06-22-2005, 12:39 AM

Default Re: 6-handed $100, Playing AK really goofy

I don't think I want to reraise AKo pre-flop out of position against a rock. I would just flat call his raise pre-flop, lead out on the flop, call if he raises and lead out on the turn. If he raises again, I'll muck thinking he either has AA, KK, QQ, or KQ. But I don't know. My analysis might be tainted because you posted the result.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:54 AM

Default Re: 6-handed $100, Playing AK really goofy

[ QUOTE ]
Villain is a rockish TAG.

[/ QUOTE ]

Given that villain called your preflop reraise with KQo, perhaps you should reevaluate his "rockishness" [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]...

That aside, if you don't think villain would be the type to a pull a move here, what hands are you beating that min-raise you here? Given that you reraised preflop, he's probably giving you credit for some kind of hand, so I doubt that he does this with a mid PP or a weaker K. Not sure what drawing hand a tight villain could have here, either (since he can't have AKd/AQd).
If you think you are ahead here pretty often, I might call the min-raise and lead the turn, but I would fold to any more aggression, and I certainly would not push the flop. Pushing the flop seems like it will fold out all the hands you DO beat, and get called by most everything that beats you.