Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2005, 11:06 PM

Default Maybe an interesting pre-flop situation?

Never had this one happen before. A bit of background: Button is an absolute maniac. The best I've ever played with. 88/70, with most preflop raises being to $45-$55. He doesn't care if you've limped. He'll still raise. He's been ganking UTG all night long and UTG is on major tilt.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Button ($3824.5)
SB ($677)
Hero ($1307)
UTG ($591)
MP ($456.4)
CO ($625)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $3.
UTG calls $6, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $30</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $100</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $585 (All-In)</font>, Button folds, Hero ...

He moved in instantly. I feel that we are most likely a coinflip, with about a 15-20% chance that I am actually a fave over AT/AJ/KQ. I am trying very hard to build my stack up to match Button's.
Old 06-20-2005, 11:57 PM

Default Re: Maybe an interesting pre-flop situation?

I like the story.

By your post I take it that you have A Q. since mentioning only A J as you being possible favorite to. I say fold and wait for better opportunity. My reasoning is this, You say button is MANIAC, 2 been abusing utg all night 3 you seem to have been playing solid maybe pushing things but not getting out of control. UTG has to be reasonably sure he's going to get raised if he limps here and most likely suspects it is coming from the button, he may push hard against the button alone with weaker hand but your re-raise he has to respect much more. He may, "MAY" be on tilt but he hasn't lost his stack yet and I am sure has been salivating for an opportunity to slam the button. Also the button has plenty of chips to gamble and he could with some assurity suspect a call from the button with out you being involved. If you had AK and wanted to gamble I don't think it is the worst call in the world if he is on tilt. But like I said he has to respect you much more than button and I doubt he is doing this with 10 10 or JJ. I believe you are drawing to three outs or worse BUT maybe I'm wrong. Your trying hard to build your stack I think you can find better opportunities than "hopefully" a coin flip situation. Tell us how it ended.
Old 06-21-2005, 12:13 AM

Easy fold - wait around for a better opportunity. It doesn't sound as if you would have to wait too long.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:05 AM

This is a limp-reraise against two players showing strength. Even from a tilter, I think you're behind more often than flipping, and almost never ahead.