Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2005, 04:10 PM

Default Limit or No-Limit for those living off poker?

I've got a couple of questions;

- I've read the "creating a bankroll" threads and was curious if everyone sticks to limit when creating their bankroll, or if some have done it playing no-limit? If you stick to limit, is there any particular reason?

- After you've created your bankroll, do you still continue making money on limit games or do you play no-limit now?

- I've been reading books (Action Dan's books) on no-limit tournament plays, and using his methods I've managed to win $80 on small entry fee (freeroll to $2) multi-table tournaments (usually 2k to 2.5k people). Does playing for real money require a different strategy? Also, how much different are strategies when playing no-limit compared to limit?

Thanks for your time.
Old 06-20-2005, 04:33 PM

Default Re: Limit or No-Limit for those living off poker?

[ QUOTE ]
I've got a couple of questions;

- I've read the "creating a bankroll" threads and was curious if everyone sticks to limit when creating their bankroll, or if some have done it playing no-limit? If you stick to limit, is there any particular reason?

[/ QUOTE ]

AFAIK, people make a living at both, as well as with NL sit-and-gos. About the only way you wouldn't want to try making a living is with multi-table tournaments, because the variance there is MUCH higher than ring games or SnG's.

[ QUOTE ]
- After you've created your bankroll, do you still continue making money on limit games or do you play no-limit now?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm just speculating because I haven't walked the walk, but it sounds to me like you're drawing too great a distinction between building up bankroll and playing for a living. Effectively playing for a living means you are constantly building up your bankroll -- just that you're constantly drawing it back down with living expenses.

In sum, I'd suggest you play whichever you feel you're better at, could be better at, would like more to learn, or suits your personality better. Not as helpful as "Do this," or "Do that," but ultimately it's the right answer.

I'll leave the third question to those wiser (and more experienced in NL) than I, except to say that the two are very different.
Old 06-20-2005, 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
- I've been reading books (Action Dan's books) on no-limit tournament plays, and using his methods I've managed to win $80 on small entry fee (freeroll to $2) multi-table tournaments (usually 2k to 2.5k people). Does playing for real money require a different strategy? Also, how much different are strategies when playing no-limit compared to limit?

[/ QUOTE ]

First, one thing that is almost always true about poker is that as the stakes (limits, blinds, buy-ins, payoff, etc) get bigger, the competition gets tougher. In little online freerolls with 2k players competing over a couple hundred bucks, there are virtually zero players with any kind of skill or even decent experience. in a tournament with a buy in of $100 or more, almost all of the players will have at least some good experience, and there will also be a good ammount of sharks. The same holds true for cash games- $25NL and 1/2 limit are probably 90% amatures/ 10% knowlageable players, while $500NL and 15/30 limit are the opposite- mostly sharks and a few donators. Additionally, your playing strategy should be fluid- there is no one strategy that is capable of beating everyone- you have to adjust to the game conditions, the type of players that youu're playing, the limits, etc... cash games definitly require a different/better strategy than freerolls or play money games.

It sounds to me like you need to buy Ed Miller's "getting started in hold 'em", which will explain all of this much better than i can.

as for your second question, there is such a huge ammount of difference between limit and NL that they might as well be two different games- very often, good limit players are poor NL players, and the reverse. most players specialize in one or the others. I, for example, play (and get most of my profit from) limit games, though i am also a competant NL and PL player.

GL to you.
Old 06-21-2005, 08:02 AM

They play both. I don't know if there are more of one than the other. I have done it with both. NL, and now Limit. As mentioned, they are vastly different games. It took me a long time to make a successful switchover from NL to Limit. This website helped a lot in that.
Old 06-21-2005, 08:44 PM

Are Ed Miller's books (small stakes and getting started) for Limit or No Limit? Or both?
Old 06-21-2005, 09:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are Ed Miller's books (small stakes and getting started) for Limit or No Limit? Or both?

[/ QUOTE ]

SSHE is entirely directed at limit play. GSiH is also focussed on limit play, but does discuss some NL. A Sklansky/Miller NL book is due out this fall that I expect will be a hot item to fill the void. In the meantime most 2+2 faithful seem to be using the concepts from Harrington on Hold 'Em's early tournament strategies.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:40 PM

Any idea what the name of the book is going to be?