Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2005, 02:04 PM

Default pocket 8s on the button, standard?

Wasn't at home, so no poker tracker reads. Table plays slightly loose passive, usual party 2/4 table.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (12.50 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG folds, MP2 checks, MP3 checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO calls.

Turn: (8.25 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, MP2 checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, MP2 calls, CO calls.

River: (11.25 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
MP2 checks, CO checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 11.25 BB
Old 06-20-2005, 02:15 PM

Default Re: pocket 8s on the button, standard?

I could see an argument for checking the flop you think it will induce a worse hand to bet into you on the turn. I'm not saying I disagree with the way you played it anywhere though.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:17 PM

I think I just call preflop. I like the rest.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a great time to raise.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I could see an argument for checking the flop you think it will induce a worse hand to bet into you on the turn. I'm not saying I disagree with the way you played it anywhere though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the thought Matt. However, how would you play it if something like a non-heart A or K fell and then someone bet into you (let's talk about it as immediate right bets into you and also EP bets and 1 maybe 2 callers to you.)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a great time to raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am missing something, could you please explain?

I do not think I would have raised PF. With 4 limpers in you are getting good odds on your call to hit your set. You will mostly need to hit a set a lot of times to win. On the flop, now that you have not hit a set, people are going to have huge odds to draw out on your pair of 8s. When it is checked to you, you are in a tough spot. With 4 others in the pot you could easily be check-raised when you bet. Flush draws, or straight draws are all getting big odds. This hand might play easier on the turn if you did not raise PF, because you may interpet then a bet on the flop by someone as a Jack. When you are checked to, after you raise PF, you do not know if someone is checking Jacks to the PFR in order to check-raise. You have no reason to think you do not have the best hand on the flop, but unless someone checkraises you, you really have no idea where you are in the hand once everybody but one person calls you. On the turn if say someone has a flushdraw, someone has an Ace for a inside straight draw, and someone has a couple overcards to your 8s, there are a lot of cards that will beat you. All these people will be gettin about the right odds, and while you do not want to give anyone free cards for infinitive odds, your hand might not be best right now anyways, or you may not be a favorite over your opponents collectively. I would probably check, and call a river bet depending on the river action, or check behind if checked to me on the river.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Hero got a free turn card if he wanted it. He got a free river card if he wanted it. I think this alone is a good enough reason to stick in 2SBs PF with position.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Hero got a free turn card if he wanted it. He got a free river card if he wanted it. I think this alone is a good enough reason to stick in 2SBs PF with position.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like those reasons. Also, I don't mind folding the blinds. and if the flop is something like 852r or whatever, who'd a thunk it?
Old 06-20-2005, 02:31 PM

Not raising PF here would require you to hit your set to win. The PF raise makes you more when you hit your set, and when you do not allows you to play beyond the flop on many more boards. If you would raise AQs here, then you should be raising 88.