Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2005, 12:34 PM

Default Taking a weird line, Blind Defense

Button raiser has played 2 hands and raised both in the 13 I have on him - so hes probably a tag and by extension probably has a wide range of hands here opening from the button.

I usually just checkraise this flop because a lot of 2/4 tags will give up easily, but I decided to call this time and checkraise the turn unless an ace hit and he bets. I also kind of like donk betting an ace turn sometimes too. After he checks behind I pretty much have to call. Thoughts on this line?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (3.25 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

River: (3.25 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 5.25 BB

-SmileyEH
Old 06-20-2005, 12:39 PM

Default Re: Taking a weird line, Blind Defense

How sure can you be that he raises here with a wide range of hands in only 13 hands?
Old 06-20-2005, 12:41 PM

I can't, but I think its far more likely that he is than he isn't because he has raised twice in 13 hands. For the sake of argument assume he steals in this spot like 30% of the time.

-SmileyEH
Old 06-20-2005, 12:43 PM

I am not so sure why you didn't continue with your flop plan. 2/4 tags suck. Make them pay for trying to raise your blind. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Given that you just c/c the flop and he checked behind on the turn, calling the river is fine. Especially since you were going to put two bets in on the turn. Might be a chop though. But whatever.

I am not so sure that he has an A, because I'd think that he'd fire again on the turn. A pp certainly bets the turn. He could have you crushed with JJ and is playing weird, but that's unlikely.

I think that this is fine, but I like a flop c/r better because you'll generally win on the turn with a hand that has less showdown value than an A. I like that.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:48 PM

I'm going with shadow and say you should stick with your original plan. Its good to mix up your game sometimes, but I don't think this TAG knows you enough to make you change your game.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:50 PM

I think you missed a great chance to take the lead in this hand by passing up the check/raise. Instead, you have to play defense for the entire hand, not just preflop. Any player's range of hands from the button is going to be wide and you may be good here. I like coming over the top to take control of the hand. Thoughts?
Old 06-20-2005, 12:51 PM

I think it looks fine. A turn lead would also be an option for me.
Old 06-20-2005, 01:46 PM

This is a difficult situation for me as well. I like the comments on check raising the flop to take control. But...my problems come in on the turn. If he calls the check raise flop, do you lead out on the turn, and then the river as well? I feel like I'm spewing chips in situations like these. Sorry to steal OP thread.. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]