Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2005, 12:29 PM

Default Inducing a bluff from a LAG

I know most poeple are going to say, bet-bet-bet, but in this case, villan was smart enough to fold to a turn bet given the flop. He was a LAG, but not a total maniac and did seem to know when he was beat in past hands, especially in heads up situations.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 folds, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, Hero checks.

River: (4.75 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Final Pot: 8.75 BB
Old 06-19-2005, 01:04 PM

Default Re: Inducing a bluff from a LAG

Beautifully induced.
Old 06-19-2005, 01:10 PM

Um, what about the times that he holds an ace? Those times betting the turn is obviously better as he's usually going to checkraise you and you can make it three bets.

And if he's smart enough to fold to a turn bet with a hand that is drawing dead/to two outs, why wasn't he smart enough to fold those same hands on the flop? That doesn't make sense.
Old 06-19-2005, 02:51 PM

In looking at this hand, I believe you have a good point. I was being results oriented (he held a pocket pair), but if the river didn't pair the board, would the play suck as much?
Old 06-19-2005, 03:58 PM

what do you think he called the flop with ? a bluff [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] ?
Old 06-19-2005, 04:20 PM

Why induce a bluff...maybe he was going to C/R you on the turn and you would have gotten 4 bets instead of just two....in other words....why settle for a BB gun war when you could have broken out the cannons?
Old 06-19-2005, 04:28 PM

If you had trips on a flop like 662, then checking behind on the turn to induce a river bet would be OK. But on a AA3 flop he can't be calling with just overcards. Most likely he has a pocket pair, a three or an ace and he will call (or raise) the turn and river anyway.
Old 06-19-2005, 05:14 PM

You are right on.

I really f-ed up by not betting the turn here. Why am I always looking to get "creative"?

Thx.