Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2003, 05:06 AM

Default Dancing on air...

4-8 at Muckleshoot. This game is kind of bizarre.. it is tight before the flop, but very loose after the flop. I have the A [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] in MP and open-raise. The SB and BB (both who call too much in the blinds) call. I've also noticed two other things about the BB... he tends to significantly overplay marginal holdings like top pair/no kicker in multiway pots, and he loves to checkraise... 3-handed to the flop.

Flop is T [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] 2 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] . Checked to me and I bet. SB folds and BB calls. Turn is 3 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] . He checks, I bet, and he checkraises. What to do now?
Old 01-20-2003, 05:20 AM

Default Re: Dancing on air...

eh. You're around 6.5 to 1 on the call after the rake it looks like. I'd look at the river and call a bet if you improve.
Old 01-20-2003, 05:29 AM

Fold. Checkraises on the turn are rarely bluffs, and the fact that he waited with this flop and that complete brick on the turn indicates strength. Besides, even if he is overaggressive, he still has you beat with one pair or better.

As far as pot odds, 6.5 to 1 odds are not enough, especially when you consider how often you are drawing dead...and calling to hit one pair or a 4th nut flush is only going to cost you an extra bet when you are beat by a higher flush.

--Jason
Old 01-20-2003, 09:16 AM

In my experience in low limit games...checkraising on the turn usually means a strong hand...probably 98 percent of the time....in this situation...I would probably fold...
Old 01-20-2003, 11:17 AM

Default checking hands with outs on the turn...

especially against loose post flop players who like to checkraise....does that qualify here?...did you concider what your plan would be if check-raised before you bet the turn?

checking behind foils his ploy and saves you two BB if he has a higher club draw (and the clubs come in)...your Ace and J "might" be outs as well if he is betting a naked big club with a Ten

i think i am content to see the river for free here and go from there