Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2005, 05:39 AM

Default Play ????

I thought that if I raised the flop that UTG would fold so I called the flop.

Should I have raised the flop? Raised the turn? How should I have played the river?

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (6.75 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls.

River: (9.75 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, MP2 folds.

Final Pot: 11.75 BB
Old 06-19-2005, 05:44 AM

Default Re: Play ????

Fold preflop unless you can expect multiway action or MP2 is loose with his raising. Reraise the flop, having UTG fold is a good thing in this large pot if he has something like a 5 out draw against you. The turn is an easy raise. River is the only part I like.
Old 06-19-2005, 05:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold preflop unless you can expect multiway action or MP2 is loose with his raising. Reraise the flop, having UTG fold is a good thing in this large pot if he has something like a 5 out draw against you. The turn is an easy raise. River is the only part I like.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-19-2005, 07:01 AM

Would you guys really fold KQs from a fairly late position raise? I don't mind the CC at all. I also 3 bet the flop - in this big pot, the less people the better. I then bet or raise the turn depending on if anyone bets first, ad then probably call down to any more agression.
Old 06-19-2005, 07:50 AM

Folding KQs as suggested is extremely weak. KQs is a very strong hand that can play both short and multi handed. Unless MP2 is the kind of 15/2 player (over 100+ hands) he can raise with a lot of hands to isolate UTG. Calling is fine.
I don't know if I would call the flop. I would like to have some more reads.
Very good river bet.
Old 06-19-2005, 09:38 AM

I often coldcall with KQs, but it depends on the opponent. Against an unknown, it's a coldcalling hand. Against a TP-A with a 4% PFR, it goes in the muck. Against a maniac with a 20% PFR, it's a 3-betting hand.

Small pairs are about the only hand that you would coldcall with regardless of the raiser's raising standards (pot odds are critical here, though). Hands like AJs or KQs could really benefit from a read.
Old 06-19-2005, 11:02 AM

Fold preflop unless you have a very good reason to believe this will be a multiway pot.

3-bet the flop. You don't mind if UTG folds because your hand is vulnerable. If you can get it heads up, you'll be very happy.

Raise the turn.

I feel like you left several bets on the table.
Old 06-19-2005, 11:20 AM

no reads.
im raising the turn, and if three bet, check folding the river UI
Old 06-19-2005, 12:50 PM

I think you should have raised the flop.

On the flop, its uncertain whether you are ahead of MP2 or not, but your hand is vulnerable to flush and possibly straight draws. So raising would help to protect your hand if it makes UTG fold, and it might also buy you a free river card.

I suspect that if you had 3-bet the flop that the rest of the hand may have played out differently. If MP2 had called/capped and bet the turn, I would have called down. But if MP2 had called and checked the turn, I would then have bet.

However, having just called on the flop, I think that you probably should have raised the turn bet, to again try to protect your hand if UTG was on a weak draw.

On the river, I think that you were correct to bet your hand for value, as you had been checked to. You most likely had the best hand and should not have allowed a free showdown.
Old 06-19-2005, 12:50 PM

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I will usually play this against a raise - the raiser was somewhat loose and somewhat passive. I agree with others that I wouldn't play it against a TAG w/4% pfr.

I also agree that I did leave several bets on the table when I took down this pot. Could and should have reraised the flop and turn. Especially the flop. But after a flop 3-bet I would probobly be checked to on the turn.