Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2005, 04:05 PM

Default Straight/Flush draws on flop.

I've been playing O8b for a few months, playing mostly mico stakes on Pacific and 0.50/1.00 now and again on Party when I get tired of hold'em. I havn't been tracking my stats (starting to as soon as my rakeback gets back to me) so I can't tell you how well I've been doing, but either way I'd like to improve so here's a hand that I was wondering about.

Hand played Sat June, 18 2005 on Pacific 5c/10c.

8 handed, I'm in SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

1 fold, 1 call, 1 fold, 2 calls, I call and BB checks.

Flop: 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

With two low cards out, I didn't know if I should bet out my flush draw and I figured my straight draw is to a weak straight so I check. Checked all the way around.

Turn: T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I bet out here, thinking since that everyone was checking on the flop, that the sum of my weak draws was strong enough to bet out. BB calls, raised, called and I called the one betas did the BB.

River: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

My straight is really weak given the board, but I bet out anyway. BB folds, raised and called around.

River Raiser wins high with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
The other caller withs low with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Looking back at this hand, it's pretty obvious to me that I played the turn and river poorly. The turn should've been a check/call. Even if I'd gotten the river for free, I should probably check/fold on the river as well.

My major question is weither or not to bet out my flush draw on the flop drawing to most likely only the high half. I realize that it's only nickels and dimes, but this hand bothered me and I was wondering what you guys think.
Old 06-19-2005, 03:42 AM

Default Re: Straight/Flush draws on flop.

[ QUOTE ]
I'd like to improve so here's a hand that I was wondering about.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your play is horribly passive, you misse several BB on this hand.

[ QUOTE ]

Hand played Sat June, 18 2005 on Pacific 5c/10c.

8 handed, I'm in SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

1 fold, 1 call, 1 fold, 2 calls, I call and BB checks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd raise this, nut flush draw + low wraps + un counterfiatable low. 5 people in, this hand is probably better than that of at least one of the limpers.

[ QUOTE ]

Flop: 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

With two low cards out, I didn't know if I should bet out my flush draw and I figured my straight draw is to a weak straight so I check. Checked all the way around.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a great flop, bet it out and jam it up. The only time I would check this is with the intention of check raising if such a check raise would soak people for multiple bets and not chase people out.

All in all, you missed about 1.5BB by checking the flop

[ QUOTE ]

Turn: T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I bet out here, thinking since that everyone was checking on the flop, that the sum of my weak draws was strong enough to bet out. BB calls, raised, called and I called the one betas did the BB.

[/ QUOTE ]

You played this backwards, now you are investing lots of money at the weakest point of your draw.

[ QUOTE ]

River: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

My straight is really weak given the board, but I bet out anyway. BB folds, raised and called around.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a crying check call not time to bet out and invite raises from the nut high and low. After all that raising on the turn somone has a better low and straight than you do.
Old 06-19-2005, 05:03 AM

Default Re: Straight/Flush draws on flop.

Preflop: call and raise are both options, but call is generally better. 1) you have a good hand with A3s with back up low, but that is not a great hand, and 2) you have the worst position in SB. Raising gets more money in while you likely have a mild equity edge, but alerts your opponents and can often lose you some bets on the later streets

Flop: I'd tend to bet out here. You want to find out where you are on the cheap street, and have ~13 outs to a strong nut hand which means your equity justifies it.

Turn: a weak semibluff into a large field is not good.

River: Check and probably fold, given the action.

Note that against your 2 opponents actual cards, you were an underdog preflop. Now, you don't want to resort to results oriented thinking and having the other 2 opponents likely improved your hand's equity. But having one opponent have A2 and another have a higher pair is actually more likely than not to occur

9s Jc Jd 7d 0.422
As 6s 2c 2h 0.304
Ac 7c 3c 5d 0.274

--Greg