Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2005, 01:37 PM

Default J9s semi-bluff

Ok, so after a lot of discussion yesterday, I'm now trying to figure out how to use this semi-bluff thing. First hand at the table, watched a couple of early hands, nothing out of the ordinary.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $0.5.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero (poster) checks, CO calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (3.50 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>...

...planning to bet fourth street if called and checked to. The rest of the hand is immaterial.
Old 06-18-2005, 01:50 PM

Default Re: J9s semi-bluff

I don't mind the flop play, but what are you posting in MP3 for? Given the post, I'm certainly raising here.
Old 06-18-2005, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't mind the flop play, but what are you posting in MP3 for? Given the post, I'm certainly raising here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't, really. I think the converter effed it up because it was only 8-handed, or something, but I was in hijack. I would've normally tried to post in CO but for some reason couldn't.
Old 06-18-2005, 02:04 PM

I would raise preflop.

Given the way the hand played out, I would just fold the flop. You're drawing to four outs against a queen (backdoor flush draws suck when the pot is tiny) and there is a player still behind you.

I could see raising here with one or two overcards and a gutshot, but not just the gutshot.
Old 06-18-2005, 02:06 PM

So you posted in the Hijack and it was folded to you, you have J9s and you didn't raise? Am I missing something?

I think I'd raise here with any two rectangular cards.
Old 06-18-2005, 02:14 PM

I think the pot is too small for this play here.

By definition, a semi bluff is a play where you have a small chance at winning the pot right there. I don't think you have a chance at winning this pot right here.

Furthermore, without a pair or overcards, you're going to need to improve with your gutshot or backdoor flush. A total of about 5.5 outs. Getting 4.5:1 this is a fold.

*Edit:Missed the PF raise, this is a nice holding with all those folds before you
Old 06-18-2005, 03:37 PM

1st Raise PF
2nd A semi-bluff is less likely to work against passive players and as the number of players in the pot gets bigger. Here you have no reads and this being 0.5/1 you expect them to be passive until proven different. Also the additional (probably passive) player in the pot makes it even harder. Your hand has less chance to improve (than say a flush draw with overcards) so you need more fold equity
Old 06-18-2005, 03:42 PM

you have a gutshot and BDFD, but the pot is small, id just fold
Old 06-18-2005, 07:49 PM

Raise preflop!!! It hurtssssssssss....
Old 06-18-2005, 07:54 PM

don't post PF.. this isn't MP3 10-handed.. its worse than that.

raise PF.

i don't like the flop raise vs an unknown. call if you think you have enough pair outs to go w/ the gutshot (and don't expect a raise behind). fold otherwise.