Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2005, 09:37 AM

Default Anna Kournikova, 4 spots from in the money

Go easy on me here gang. I'm a long time limit player. I recently took Lederer's advice to broaden my game and have been playing a weekly multi-table NL tournament. I like the aspect of being able to work on a game I'm less familiar with without having to risk a big portion of my bankroll to do it.

Last night I'm in a multi table with around 400 players. 36 places pay out. Obviously 26-36 basically just get a little more than the buy in, but whatever.

I've seen a 9,000 chip stack that had been in the top 10 for some time whittled down to 4,800 through bad cards, accelerating blinds, etc. Blinds are up to 250/500 with ante. I have AKo UTG +1 and decide to push after UTG folds. There are 40 players left at this point.

Good idea? Horrible idea?

I'm new to the multi-table world, so your comments and input are greatly appreciated.
Old 06-18-2005, 09:39 AM

Default Re: Anna Kournikova, 4 spots from in the money

Easy push IMO but I am more of a SNG player than a MTT player so take my advice with a grain of salt.

What does Anna Kournikova have to do with anything, though? Is that just to get our attention? :-P
Old 06-18-2005, 09:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Easy push IMO but I am more of a SNG player than a MTT player so take my advice with a grain of salt.

What does Anna Kournikova have to do with anything, though? Is that just to get our attention? :-P

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a buddy who plays a lot of no limit. He calls AK Anna (her initials are AK). His line is "she's pretty, but she doesn't win much".
Old 06-18-2005, 09:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a buddy who plays a lot of no limit. He calls AK Anna (her initials are AK). His line is "she's pretty, but she doesn't win much".

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh I get it now, haha that's pretty good. I guess I am old school when I say big slick :-(.
Old 06-18-2005, 09:59 AM

If you dont win much with AK, you're not playing them correctly.

This is an easy push, and its not close at all.

Nick
Old 06-18-2005, 10:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you dont win much with AK, you're not playing them correctly.

This is an easy push, and its not close at all.

Nick

[/ QUOTE ]

Chief, I thought it was, too. But I want to know if the reason was correct. I felt any significant raise was going to be almost 50% of my stack anyway. I didn't want to get into a multi-way pot with what is, despite it's strength, a drawing hand.

I figured there were 3 outcomes.

1) I get the ante and the blinds because everyone folds to an all-in of that size from that position.

2) I get someone to call with something I've got 6 outs to beat.

3) Someone behind me is holding a monster, in which case my pre-flop raise would be called and if I'm out, I'm out.

It was a tough spot. Because if I don't do anything for another 10 hands, I'd have limped in to the money most likely. But my reasoning was that I've have been weakened so much I had no hope to get back into the top 10 where the money is significant.
Old 06-18-2005, 10:14 AM

Here are my thoughts in response to yours.

1) Getting the ante and blinds at this stage in the tournament is probably a very GOOD thing for you. Worth more than you'd know.

2 and 3) You can't play constantly afraid of the nuts. If you were afraid of the nuts everytime you played limit would you make any money? And if you DO have 6 outs to beat it... it is a coinflip, not too bad with less than 10x BB.

My own thoughts: A lot of the time you are going to get called by AQ, AJ and worse. Combine this with the amount of times you will get called by a coinflip and win and even add in the times you are called by a monster and you will find this is still a VERY +EV situation. (oh and don't forget the times you take down the blinds and antes)

A good push on all accounts.
Old 06-18-2005, 12:41 PM

Perfect.
Old 06-18-2005, 01:10 PM

the only time i'm not pushing there is when the table is super agro vs. limpers and i can get a limpr reraise in a good % of the time. Otherwise, go ahead and push.
Old 06-18-2005, 01:15 PM

Agreed Soss. But ONLY if it is a SUPER aggressive table, and limpers get reraised all the time. Otherwise I'm going all in.

Why?

1. You are under 10xBB
2. You are UTG, so you limp on a passive board and you'll have a 4+ way pot with AK, and only an AK flop is going to make you feel really good.

You certienly are not considering folding it.

Nick