Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2005, 10:57 PM

Default 5-10 NL: flopped straight on a monotone board

Hi guys.

It's been a while since I posted a hand, so here goes.

Pokerroom, 5-10 NL. Full ring.

Hero is CO w/ 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and ~$2,800. My image is probably pretty tight, but nowhere near nitty. Button is a bit laggy, but not absurdly so, and capable of making laydowns.

MP ($72) limps, I limp (I never would normally, but chose to b/c of short stack in front of me), button (~$700) limps, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop is 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

Checked to hero, who bets $50. Button raises to $150. Folded back to hero.

What's your move: call, fold or raise (and to what)?

If call, what's your plan for the following turns:

a) Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

b) Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

c) 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Results to follow.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-17-2005, 11:35 PM

Default Re: 5-10 NL: flopped straight on a monotone board

[ QUOTE ]
MP ($72) limps, I limp (I never would normally, but chose to b/c of short stack in front of me)

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you elaborate on that?
Old 06-18-2005, 12:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
MP ($72) limps, I limp (I never would normally, but chose to b/c of short stack in front of me)

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you elaborate on that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Normally, I think that just about any hand worth playing from late position, perhaps in particular suited connectors, is worth playing for a raise. In this spot, however, I opted not to raise b/c:

1) The short stack limper in front of me had only six more big blinds left. It seemed like any normal size raise had the potential to create a heads up all-in situation w/ the short stack. Or, if I raised, others came into the pot behind me, and the short stack limper called, any nomral continuation bet by me would likely compel him to call any flop w/ his QJo. I like playing baby cards in position, but I don't particularly care for running five high hot and cold.

2) Along the same lines (those of 10-25 BB stacks effing everything up in full ring NL games, imo), I don't necessarily see raising w/ an implied odds hand as a profitable play-in spite of my positional advantage-when at least one and potentially two (BB had ~$200) short stacks are coming along.

Please feel free to disagree, but I feel like the value in raising an implied odds hand like a SC or baby pair is in nailing a flop against someone "trapping" w/ a big pair, and then stacking them. The limper was so short, that I didn't feel like it was a good spot to raise 54s (but I still wanted to play the hand, of course [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]).

I hope that makes sense (and please point out if my thinking here is off).

So, about the hand, does everyone think this is a routine fold on the flop?

Thanks.
Old 06-18-2005, 12:25 AM

I think I would have to push here, even though it's a big overbet. There are too many bad cards that could hit the turn (almost half the deck), and he definitely doesn't need a made flush to raise the flop. Good thing Button's a shortstack, because this becomes a lot harder with more money around.
Old 06-18-2005, 07:08 AM

I think pushing is bad.

I also think playing the hand is bad.
Old 06-18-2005, 08:26 AM

Fold for me. There may be odds to make this call on combinations sets:flushes if there were somehow no more cards to come, but villian has too much fold equity with us to play on with 2 streets to go.
Old 06-18-2005, 09:56 AM

Im going to have to agree with edge unless the player is a nut peddler.

Although a big overpair with a heart is probably unlikely he could easily have a pair with the A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], a set, or two pair.

Based on the play I've seen of the average of decent opponents, youre ahead of a wide range of habnds here and people just dont constantly flop flushes in this game.

I would push the flop, so my opinions about turn action are irrelevant, but, any heart or a paired board you cant take any more heat but MAYBE YOU CAN BLUFF IF YOUR READ IS SOLID AND YOU GET RESPECT.

Just one reason not to push the flop, I would make this play against certain rock opponents and push a scary turn.
Old 06-18-2005, 11:02 AM

I agree that its possible we can also get villian to fold. But if we do, we have him beat anyway! Pushing now or on the turn we're risking a lot to win 250.
Old 06-18-2005, 11:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree that its possible we can also get villian to fold. But if we do, we have him beat anyway!

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhh, this is not exactly true. If I have villain read for a flush, I could CR all-in if the board pairs on the turn, for instance.
Old 06-18-2005, 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I also think playing the hand is bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Reasoning, please?