Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2005, 03:30 AM

Default QQ mid position, King high flop.

1.5 laps into my session, I have a couple of hints about how my opponents play, but nothing definate enough to vary my play.

Online 3-6 game, UTG limps, I raise with Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

Two coldcallers, and the BB and limper both call. 5 players for 10 SBs.

Flop

K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

BB checks, UTG bets, I raise, and everyone folds, except for UTG.

Turn
T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

UTG Checks, I check.

River, 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

UTG checks, I check.

What are the chances that I won/lost this hand, and how do you think I should have played it?

If I won against a middle pocket pair, what do you think of my opponents play, and what adjustments should I make?

If I lost, against a weak King, same questions?
Old 06-17-2005, 03:56 AM

Default Re: QQ mid position, King high flop.

I c/r the flop if im the villain. I also value bet the river after he checks if I were you.

edit: prolly would have bet the turn folded to a raise and took free showdown if I were you also.
Old 06-17-2005, 05:57 AM

bet/fold to a raise on the turn, check the river if got called
Old 06-17-2005, 06:20 AM

I bet/fold the turn here, and take a free showdown if he calls. Villain almost certainly has some piece of this board or a pocket pair.

While he probably will call on the turn with 88 or even lower pocket pairs, he might not call the river if another overcard comes.

If you don't bet the turn, then you have to bet the river. He is very unlikely not to bet top pair here, and I think a lower pocket pair will almost certainly call after the turn checking through.
Old 06-17-2005, 06:37 AM

Bet/fold the turn, probably check through on the river, though he'll bet the flop alot with A7s, and any PP up to 88

After it checks through on the turn you gotta value bet the river
Old 06-17-2005, 06:58 AM

I like the flop play.

You should bet the turn, folding to the raise (as everyone said).

Against an unknown on the river, I would assume I still have the best hand and value bet.

If you beat his middle pair, make a note to value bet relentlessly on the river against him. If you lost to a weak K, make a note that your opponent is very weak/passive when played back at, and try to restrict your value bets slightly more and expect him not to fold to aggression (semi-bluff less).
Old 06-17-2005, 07:40 AM

I think the flop is close between raise or fold. When he bets this flop into this field with that very drawless board, I think he has a K or better.

Since you decided to raise, I bet the turn and check behind on the river. Checking the turn sets you up for an annoying river decision if he decides to bluff, IMO.
Old 06-17-2005, 09:31 AM

Pokerbob:

[ QUOTE ]
Checking the turn sets you up for an annoying river decision if he decides to bluff, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he checks the turn and his opponent bets, there really isn't much of a decision, is there? Bob has to call 100% of the time.
Old 06-17-2005, 09:34 AM

Why would you check the turn planning to check the river through? That doesn't make sense to me. I think only 2 lines really make sense.

1. Bet the turn again planning on seeing a free showdown. I think you can fold to a check/raise there.

2. Check the turn plannning on inducing a bet on the river and calling. However, with this line, I think you need to bet the river if it checks to you again.

I mean...if you're so convinced that you're beat here that you want to check through both streets, you should fold the flop.
Old 06-17-2005, 09:46 AM

I would bet/fold on the turn, like the others here.

It is interesting that he didn't reraise on the flop, which looks a little weak to me, and then checks the turn.

You have some value and probably have the best hand. You have to think in terms of value betting, and get that bet in here. If he raises you, then he has set a trap and I'd be done with it.

bill c