Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2005, 12:39 AM

Default Need directions on transferring data/files/crap to new computer

Simplest way, without having to go to the local best buy and buy some crap I'll use once.

I have a wireless router in my house, can I do it thru a simple wireless network? Is it going to take me forever?
Old 06-17-2005, 12:41 AM

Default Re: Need directions on transferring data/files/crap to new computer

Go by a patch cable. Connects to ethernet cards and transfers go quickly. All the cable is a regular ethernet cord with the ends inverted so you can move files back and forth between 2 computers, only $14-$15 and well worth it.
~Justin
Old 06-17-2005, 12:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Go by a patch cable. Connects to ethernet cards and transfers go quickly. All the cable is a regular ethernet cord with the ends inverted so you can move files back and forth between 2 computers, only $14-$15 and well worth it.
~Justin

[/ QUOTE ]

Small problem with this, the old comp doesn't have an ethernet port. (Emachines POS/Costco special from college)
Old 06-17-2005, 02:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
~Justin

[/ QUOTE ]

Small problem with this, the old comp doesn't have an ethernet port. (Emachines POS/Costco special from college)

[/ QUOTE ]

Swapping the hard drive is probably your best bet, and there must be 1000 tutorials online. But if you would rather go the ethernet route, I've bought ethernet cards (NIC's) for as little as $5.
Old 06-17-2005, 12:46 AM

If you have a wireless network you should be able to transer any and all data wirelessly. Just set up a home network. I did this at my home but don't recall the details.

Hopefully, a tech poster will be able to either post instructions or a link to another forum with easy to follow instructions.

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4u
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 06-17-2005, 01:11 AM

Take the hard drive out of the old computer and install it in the new one as the second drive (D. Copy away, then put it back if you want to keep the old computer operational.
Old 06-17-2005, 01:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Take the hard drive out of the old computer and install it in the new one as the second drive (D. Copy away, then put it back if you want to keep the old computer operational.

[/ QUOTE ]

Directions?
Old 06-17-2005, 01:34 AM

I would hold off for better directions. You should be able to copy files from the same LAN computers via a wireless network. It is a fairly simple procedure.

You should not have to swap hard drives nor open the case. Usually, opening the case voids your original warranty.

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4u
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 06-17-2005, 01:35 AM

If you have windows xp you should be able to go into help file sharing for instructions.

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4u
Old 06-17-2005, 02:09 AM

I don't think opening the case voids your warranty(check to be sure, but its like opening the hood on a car to me) And moving the hard drive will be the fastest data transfer rate, with no cost.