Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2005, 10:17 PM

Default A7o no pair against turn donkbet

Sorry, no reads. This was early in my session.

This is something I normally do, unless I know I'm playing a TAG.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.40 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (3.20 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>

Also, a hidden stats post. I've never posted one stat, but have a question. I think I'm still within sample size issues, but maybe I can learn something. 30k hands, AJs is still a loser, could this be a leak or is it still early?
Old 06-17-2005, 01:17 AM

Default Re: A7o no pair against turn donkbet

Redeye: Just curious. Do you make this raise if the turn is a blank?

Jon
Old 06-17-2005, 01:21 AM

You mean he sitll leads the turn on a blank? I wouldn't. Since the board paired though, only a really good player has the 2 when he bets IMHO. Bad players always seem to c/r it. Since bad players are more common than good players, I like the raise as a re-steal.

WiteKnite
Old 06-17-2005, 05:45 AM

Are you planning to take a free showdown? I like your line, and then betting if something like a K or Q (or A comes). If a blank comes, I would take free showdown.
Old 06-17-2005, 12:48 PM

It's true that the turn bet is not too likely to be a two, but it's very likely to be a pair and that's almost as bad.

With no read and your kicker destroyed it seems like a good time to fold. Or you could pay to show down your ace. That would make more sense with a suitable read.

I don't understand what the turn raise is supposed to accomplish. Fold out a bluff in a 4 BB pot? You realize that if you call he may not bet 55 or 98 on the river?

Regarding AJs: you must have about 100 AJs hands so far out of your 30K. Your standard deviation is about 20 BB.
Old 06-17-2005, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Redeye: Just curious. Do you make this raise if the turn is a blank?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I definately wouldn't raise if the turn was a blank. I would call if I had a big A though.
Old 06-17-2005, 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's true that the turn bet is not too likely to be a two, but it's very likely to be a pair and that's almost as bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

This happens to me a lot when the board pairs the turn. Usually I have more of a read. But, almost always this bet is either complete BS or a hand. If I had a reasonable hand, I wouldn't raise here such as if I had an overpair or something. I don't want the guy to fold if he's full of it, and I don't want to call down a 3-bet if he has a bigger hand.

Now, I raise with this marginal hand because I feel like I am winning a majority of the time here but my hand is usually very vunerable. Like I said, I don't know if raising is right, but in this situation I almost always do, and they almost always fold. I appreciate your input as always.
Old 06-17-2005, 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you planning to take a free showdown? I like your line, and then betting if something like a K or Q (or A comes). If a blank comes, I would take free showdown.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you really think a typical opponent is ck-folding a J or 8 to a K or Q river?