Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2005, 04:13 PM

Default KK UTG 30/60

bb in this hand is 25/8/2.38 for 250 hands.

i raise UTG sb and bb call ... ih ave KK.

flop is 2h4dAc sb checks bb bets out. i call. sb folds.

turn comes a J he pauses, thinks, and bets again i call.

river is another J. now he checks. i bet,

-Barron
Old 06-16-2005, 04:32 PM

Default Re: KK UTG 30/60

i assume you were going to raise a brick turn, but after his pause on the J, you put him on a medium pocket pair, and just decided to call, hoping to raise the river or make him pay you off if he checks. seems pretty good.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i assume you were going to raise a brick turn, but after his pause on the J, you put him on a medium pocket pair, and just decided to call, hoping to raise the river or make him pay you off if he checks. seems pretty good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you raise this turn if a brick came?
Old 06-16-2005, 11:06 PM

I'm just wondering why you think calling the flop is better than raising to protect from sb? I'm not saying it's not...I'm just curious about your reasoning. I guess you were thinking gutshots were not a real concern or 5 out hands?
Old 06-16-2005, 11:54 PM

I dont think i'd bet this river. I think the times he has a weak A, a counterfiet 2 pair that still beats you, or maybe even trying to checkraise a monster outweigh the times he has a small pair and pays you off. Maybe I'm losing value here, but there are my thoughts...
Old 06-17-2005, 12:10 AM

Default RESULTS & THOUGHTS

i posted this mostly for the river & my opponents turn pause.

i think its very clear that the bb does not have an ace. 90% of players regardless ofreads dont bet an ace there because they usually just want to get a showdown. so that bet imo must have been to try to feel out if i had an ace or a pair i was willing to part with.

i called because i can get away cheap if sb c'rs and bb 3bets. further, i dont really fear any draws and its pretty certain that if the sb can call after me that im more likely to be beat and can get away from the hand later on. i dont think raising this flop is a good play.

on the turn he pauses. i didn't necessarily know what that meant but i did think it means im now 100% sure he does not have the ace. it wouldn't be a pause, just a clear bet, by smooth calling i make it clear im either raising the turn or calling down. so now he pauses and wants to see what i do. so he bets. again i just call because i dont think i gain anything by raising.

finally, on the river, and this is what im not sure about, the J pairs. so now, if he has an ace he'll almost always bet. once he checks i have to think im 100% good here unless he's going for a river c'r but the way he played it looks like a smaller pair. but given that i played the hand so passively i thought i could eek out a value bet. i knew it was close, and maybe -ev, but i hate not getting value for my hands.

so i bet and he folded. but the question remains do you bet that river and expect a call from the lower pair?

-Barron
Old 06-17-2005, 12:24 AM

Default Re: RESULTS & THOUGHTS

FWIW after trying many iterations on how to play hands like these I have been playing it as you did here. You never ever gets folds you want here, yet you are being bluffed often . Just bob and weave like you did. Then on the river you can be pretty certain you are good.

Not only do I think this is a good value bet, I don't think it is really close. You will get called here all the time by a a worse hand.
Old 06-17-2005, 12:37 AM

This hand is perfect. A pair of aces in the BB is not going to follow this line.
Old 06-17-2005, 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This hand is perfect. A pair of aces in the BB is not going to follow this line.

[/ QUOTE ]

i am going to hang this post on the wall.

-Barron
Old 06-17-2005, 01:17 AM

I like the play, I'm just a little confused by a river bet. What would ever pay you off here?
So aren't you betting to win 0, and to lose if your read is off (despite the fact I agree it hardly ever will be)?