Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2005, 03:40 PM

Default What\'s the big deal about the inflection point theory?

I just finished reading Dan's book (it is fantastic by the way). However, I don't understand the hype the inflection point stuff. Dan does do a great job explaining it in detail, but the basic concept is pretty much blindingly obvious. One can easily deduce the gist of it prior to playing a single tournament from studying the structure and rules of tournament poker.
Old 06-16-2005, 04:42 PM

Default Re: What\'s the big deal about the inflection point theory?

[ QUOTE ]
I just finished reading Dan's book (it is fantastic by the way). However, I don't understand the hype the inflection point stuff. Dan does do a great job explaining it in detail, but the basic concept is pretty much blindingly obvious. One can easily deduce the gist of it prior to playing a single tournament from studying the structure and rules of tournament poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's as almost revolutionary as the "Gap Concept" that made TPFAP a best seller.
Old 06-16-2005, 07:53 PM

Lol. this kind of stuff reminds me of the company that recently invented peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.
Old 06-16-2005, 08:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's as almost revolutionary as the "Gap Concept" that made TPFAP a best seller.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's nowhere near as revolutionary as the gap. it's an idea that's pretty darn close to the 10Xbb rule, which is so commonly known that shana hiatt told us about it in a poker corner last year.

now your turn to defend.
Old 06-16-2005, 11:01 PM

Structured Hand Analysis was also disappointing. Anyone who has eastbay's SNGPT has been doing this with their hand histories since Feb.
I am not saying the book is bad, but maybe a little over hyped. Don't get me wrong, HoH I & II are the best tournament books around (I am a Homer). It is just when Mason says...

[ QUOTE ]
We expect this book to cause a sensation because of it's discussion of what the authors Dan Harrington and Bill Robertie call "Inflection Points."

[/ QUOTE ]
...maybe he should visit the STT Forum more often.
Old 06-16-2005, 11:51 PM

What exactly is eastbay's SNGPT, where can I find info on it? Thanks.
Old 06-17-2005, 12:26 AM

do a google for +SNGPT +eastbay

http://sitngo-analyzer.com
Old 06-17-2005, 12:26 AM

http://sitngo-analyzer.com/
Old 06-17-2005, 12:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought the zones were a helpful way to think about it, even if the book concentrated on the red zone and not the specific differences in strategy as you move from green to yellow.

However, the basic concepts of red zone play, as defined by your stack size relative to the blinds and antes, is covered in the New Players Guide to NL Holdem, pages 40-43 (see chart of "trouble stacks" and "move in stacks" and discussion of "move in" hands).

In addition, the concept of M was certainly at the heart of the Slansky "system."

Finally, the concept of Q was mentioned but not really explored.

HOHII certainly goes more in depth into the issues, and particularly red zone play, than any other publication. So, I was pleased at the level of detail.

But conceptually, I was somewhat disappointed in the Inflection Points chapter after the build up it received.
Old 06-17-2005, 11:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Lol. this kind of stuff reminds me of the company that recently invented peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but they give names to these concepts that we've already known. Prior to that, no one had come up with names like 'gap theory' or 'inflection point theory'.