Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2005, 12:23 PM

Default AQs vs. limp-reraise

At a 3/5 200 NL table where raises often get 4-5 cold-callers.

Hero has A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in SB with $300.

4 limpers. Hero raises to $25. All fold to CO who limp-raises to $75. Hero calls.

Flop is K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] j[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

Hero checks. CO checks.

Turn is A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

Hero bets $50. CO goes all in for $125 total. Pot is $345. Hero...
Old 06-16-2005, 12:34 PM

Default Re: AQs vs. limp-reraise

[ QUOTE ]
At a 3/5 200 NL table where raises often get 4-5 cold-callers.

Hero has A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in SB with $300.

4 limpers. Hero raises to $25. All fold to CO who limp-raises to $75. Hero calls.

Flop is K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] j[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

Hero checks. CO checks.

Turn is A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

Hero bets $50. CO goes all in for $125 total. Pot is $345. Hero...

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Why are you raising after several limpers (that you've already said like to build the pot) from the SB with a semi-strong hand?

2. You're getting about 5:1 on your call. I can't put CO on anything because he pulled off the ever popular limp reraise from the CO. So I call.

Where can I play where the stacks are 40BB and people LRR after limpers with position?
Old 06-16-2005, 12:36 PM

stacks are too small here - you have to call.

As for preflop, this is a very bad raise IMO. As soon as you get limp-reraised by cutoff, you should insta-push and hope he folds. If he calls, oh well, you're not much of an underdog most likely. I'd guess he had JJ or 66? Maybe KK? Stacks are too short - hand plays itself once you raise out of position preflop.

If you really read CO for a weird limp-reraise w/ KK or AK, then fold (preflop), but I'd most likely push in here (preflop).
Old 06-16-2005, 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. Why are you raising after several limpers (that you've already said like to build the pot) from the SB with a semi-strong hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

Please explain. I haven't read a lot of no-limit specific texts beyong HoH I. Undoubtedly, this is a raise in SSH. When playing against a field that always wants to limp in for $5 and is often willing to pay $15-$25 for the same right, why would you not want to raise with this hand? Is it only because I'm out of position? Is AQs that much worse than AK or pocket pairs in short-stack NL?
Old 06-16-2005, 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Please explain. I haven't read a lot of no-limit specific texts beyong HoH I. Undoubtedly, this is a raise in SSH. When playing against a field that always wants to limp in for $5 and is often willing to pay $15-$25 for the same right, why would you not want to raise with this hand? Is it only because I'm out of position? Is AQs that much worse than AK or pocket pairs in short-stack NL?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your position blows. I often don't even raise AK here. Also, the size of the raise is terrible too. 4 limpers, means there's $30 in the pot and you're putting $25 on top of that? I'm amazed that any of the limpers folded. You're just getting yourself into trouble by raising from the SB without a dominant hand.
Old 06-16-2005, 12:54 PM

Folds; bad guy has KKK.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Your position blows. I often don't even raise AK here. Also, the size of the raise is terrible too. 4 limpers, means there's $30 in the pot and you're putting $25 on top of that? I'm amazed that any of the limpers folded. You're just getting yourself into trouble by raising from the SB without a dominant hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, as a general rule, you don't raise a big field from the blinds without a big pocket pair?
Old 06-16-2005, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So, as a general rule, you don't raise a big field from the blinds without a big pocket pair?

[/ QUOTE ]
I think most people only would raise here with a big pocket pair or complete trash. And they would raise big to really put the limpers to the test. Making a move here with a hand that plays well multi-way when it hits but doesn't even play well heads up when it misses is not a good idea.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:33 PM

What's your plan if 3-4 players called your preflop raise and you completely wiffed?
Old 06-16-2005, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Folds; bad guy has KKK.

[/ QUOTE ]
huh??