Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2005, 11:51 AM

Default PokerStars Mod

I want to make my own mod that has an all black background. How do i do this? If i open up the table image, it won't let me paint it.
Old 06-16-2005, 11:58 AM

Default Re: PokerStars Mod

I think u cant change anything on pokerstars in terms of the appearance.
Could be wrong though.
Old 06-16-2005, 12:00 PM

Yes you can. Don't open PS from the desktop after you change something in the PS folder.
Old 06-16-2005, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If i open up the table image, it won't let me paint it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure I know what you mean... Are you trying to change the background while playing..? Anyway, I use this mod which is very easy on the eyes - at least more so than the default PS background.

Old 06-16-2005, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If i open up the table image, it won't let me paint it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure I know what you mean... Are you trying to change the background while playing..? Anyway, I use this mod which is very easy on the eyes - at least more so than the default PS background.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am trying to open the table image in the pokerstars folder using "paint" so i can paint the backgrond all black. I don't like the brown and yellow background. It doesn't let me open it with paint so i can't change the background. How were you able to change the table and background like that?
Old 06-16-2005, 01:00 PM

Duckstabber,

I started using this mod too after you posted it a couple of weeks ago. I like it fine - I think I'd like an all black background better, but so what...

My question is, how do you make Stars stop updating itself and overwriting the mod every time you start the app?

thanks,

cbf
Old 06-16-2005, 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Duckstabber,

I started using this mod too after you posted it a couple of weeks ago. I like it fine - I think I'd like an all black background better, but so what...

My question is, how do you make Stars stop updating itself and overwriting the mod every time you start the app?

thanks,

cbf

[/ QUOTE ]
You can't open it from the desktop or it will update. You have to go to my computer, C:, program files, pokerstars folder, then PokerStars, not PokerStars update. You might be able to drag Pokerstars to the desktop and create a short cut but i dont know.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:10 PM

Now can someone tell me how i can get the background all black please
Old 06-16-2005, 01:47 PM

Hi folks -
It is possible to change many of the images (and sounds) used by the PokerStars client. They are all stored in your PokerStars installation, generally in:

C:\Program Files\PokerStars\Gx (Graphics and images)

C:\Program Files\PokerStars\Snd (Sounds)

For example, the dealer button is in the folder "chips&deck" under the "Gx" folder. Its file name is chip-D.gif. If you replace that with another image, that image will be used for the dealer button instead.

But it's not quite as simple as that. The regular icon for running PokerStars (as put on you desktop by the installer) is a special program called PokerStarsUpdate.exe. It checks to see if there's a new version of the software that needs to be installed. It also looks in the installation directory for "corrupted" files. Because the date on your file will be different, the update program will force you to download a new installation, wiping out your changes.

To avoid this, instead of running the PokerStarsUpdate.exe program, run the PokerStars.exe program directly. It is in the main PokerStars/ folder. If you wish, you can create a shortcut to it on your desktop.

Just realize that you should run PokerStarsUpdate.exe every week or so to insure that there's not a new version you need to download, and that when you do that, you'll lose any files you have changed. Therefore, you should keep a copy of the changed images somewhere so you can put them back after an update.

Finally, please understand that we are *not* responsible for things that could happen to you if you mess with these images. For instance, you could very easily (using the procedure I described above) swap the "three of diamonds" and "queen of clubs" cards. So every time you saw the Qc, it would *actually* be the 3d (and vice versa). I don't have to tell you what a mess that would be. Furthermore, if you miss an update and that causes something bad to happen, we can't be responsible for that either.

With those warnings, feel free to re-design the PokerStars graphics to your heart's content!

Best regards,
Lee Jones

PokerStars Poker Room Manager

P.S. We are seriously considering making it possible to customize the backgrounds and other graphics on the site. Keep your ears tuned.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:53 PM

Thanks Lee, beat me to it. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

cbfair & Joe,

How do you like this one? (Just change the name of the file from bg2 to bg):